Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What does the expression "should be do it" mean at 0:52 in the video?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me that "Should we do it?" *was intended. Why they captioned it that way I don't know. However, "Should we do it?" is perfectly good English.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Some comments:
1- As Tarheel has pointed out above, it was mistranscribed. He says "Should we do it?".
2- "Should we do it?" is wrong there. I suspect he wanted to use "shall" instead of "should". I think he was intending "Let's do it".
Note that "should we do it" is possible, but it is a genuine question rather than a suggestion/invitation to do something.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It seems to me that "Should we do it?" *was intended. Why they captioned it that way I don't know. However, "Should we do it?" is perfectly good English.
Subtitles are usually created automatically using voice recognition software. Mistranscription is common.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes, he says "Should we do it?" and he meant "Shall we do it?"

In south and south-east Asia, this use of "Should" is common. I believe it's common in AmE.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In south and south-east Asia, this use of "Should" is common. I believe it's common in AmE.
The YouTuber immigrated to Canada at the age of three, so he speaks Canadian English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Subtitles are usually created automatically using voice recognition software. Mistranscription is common.
Is the captioning out of the hands of the video maker?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Should we do it?" is acceptable in AmE. 'Shall' is practically non-existent in AmE outside of legalese or overtly formal language. I can't speak to Canadian English, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to AmE in this aspect, as it is in so many other cases.

While I can't say who generated the subtitles, I can say they weren't auto-generated by YouTube. There's no option to turn them on/off, so they were built in to the original video before it was uploaded.

2- "Should we do it?" is wrong there. I suspect he wanted to use "shall" instead of "should". I think he was intending "Let's do it".
Note that "should we do it" is possible, but it is a genuine question rather than a suggestion/invitation to do something.
While that may be true in BrE, as Tarheel and I have pointed out, 'Should' works in AmE (and by extension, presumably Canadian English). In this context, 'should' does indeed carry the meaning of the blued words in AmE.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I can't speak to Canadian English, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to AmE in this aspect, as it is in so many other cases.
Is the preposition "to" a typo?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What does the expression "speak to Canadian English" mean?