Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Chronic stress can inflame the gut — now scientists know why
Signals originating in the brain make their way to gut nerve cells, leading to a release of inflammatory chemicals.
Source: Nature

As I read the title "Chronic stress can inflame the gut — now scientists know why Signals originating in the brain......", it run like a lightening in my mind as "Chronic stress can inflame the gut — now scientists know why Signals initiating in the brain......", then I paused because I noticed the difference between "initiating" and "originating".

"Did initiating work here?" I pondered and checked out the definition of the word in my dictionary at hand, which says "initiate, v.t. to begin, set going, or originate: to initiate major social reforms." So both appear to be close and interchangeable. Yet on second thought, it doesn't seem to be quite right to me since "to initiate social reforms" is more subjective than objective. Signals beginning in the brain involves biological automation while the activity of our mind is more subjective.

Do you think that "Signals originating in the brain" and "Signals initiating in the brain" mean exactly the same thing and are interchangeable there?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. They have quite different meanings. Also, 'initiate' must be transitive, which means it needs an object.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "Does initiating work here?" (Not for me.)

It should surprise nobody that stress affects digestion. (it affects everything.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. They have quite different meanings. Also, 'initiate' must be transitive, which means it needs an object.

So is Signals initiating in the brain ungrammatical and makes no sense?

But if "to initiate signals in the brain, the brain must be alive in the first place" is grammatical and makes sense, I wonder.