Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
What do you call singing a song without its lyrics? I thought it was humming, but the definition of the word describes making a buzzing sound without opening your mouth.

I too used to think that "humming" was when you kept your lips closed, but others have told me that for them, it can include saying "la la la" or similar sounds along to the tune of the song.

I used to say 'If you don't know the words just "la, la" it.

Rover

Thank you for the replies! So, there is no word to describe "la-la-ing"? Could you say "singing a tune/melody" or "vocalizing the song"?

Ahem... a little problem there, methinks? ;-)

There is no problem. If you don't know the words [to the song], just la-la it [it = the song].

Thank you for the replies! So, there is no word to describe "la-la-ing"? Could you say "singing a tune/melody" or "vocalizing the song"?

No. Your suggestions do not make it clear that the words are not being sung. I would use "humming" if the mouth were closed and "la-la"ing if the words were being replaced with "la-las".

There is no problem. If you don't know the words [to the song], just la-la it [it = the song].

Indeed, but the (vital) context was missing. So all I said (or pretended to - context again) was "there might be a problem as Rover's wording stood. That's all. Funny intention included in my comment, too.

Indeed, but the (vital) context was missing. So all I said (or pretended to - context again) was "there might be a problem as Rover's wording stood. That's all. Funny intention included in my comment, too.

I heard it from someone says it called (sounds words), I dont know (doubt) there is sound but without words

There is the term 'scat singing', but this is not just 'la-la'ing when you don't know the words. It's the creative use of vocal sounds in a musical context: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong did it.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back