Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have written the following sentences. Are they grammatically correct?

1) A lot of our Indian peasants are certainly a pitiable one.

2) The lot of our Indian peasants is certainly a pitiable one.

I don't understand. Why did you write two sentences with completely different meanings? Was that your intention? I really don't think you were trying to use lot in the sense of definition 7 linked above.

Please tell us what you're trying to say, what you're trying to learn, and why.

I don't understand. Why did you write two sentences with completely different meanings? Was that your intention? I really don't think you were trying to use lot in the sense of definition 7 linked above.

Please tell us what you're trying to say, what you're trying to learn, and why.

I'm extremely sorry. I made a mistake. I confounded the meaning of 'lot' in the sentences written by me in #1.

I, actually, wanted to use the word 'lot' in the sense of 'several' or 'many'.

I want to learn that after ''A lot of' or 'Lots of', which forms of verb should be used,- 'singular' or 'plural'?

For example,

1) A lot of our Indian peasants are residing in the pitiable conditions.

2) Lots of our Indian peasants are residing in the pitiable conditions.

Last edited:
I want to learn that after ''A lot of' or '[STRIKE]A [/STRIKE]lots of', which forms of verb should be used,- 'singular' or 'plural'?

You should use the plural in your sentence.
What do you mean by "a pitiable one"?

"A lots of" is not correct, Barman.
:cry:

"A lots of" is not correct, Barman.
:cry:

As you have corrected in #5, it should be 'lots of' instead of 'a lots of', shouldn't it?

OK. I have corrected it in #4.

Last edited:
I, actually, wanted to use the word 'lot' in the sense of 'several' or 'many'.

I want to learn that after ''A lot of' or 'Lots of', which forms of verb should be used,- 'singular' or 'plural'?

Okay. Please be sure to tell us this kind of information in post #1. It will help you greatly.

As you have corrected in #5, it should be 'lots of' instead of 'a lots of', shouldn't it?

OK. I have corrected it in #4.
:)

Oh! Yes. That should be the right question tag. I have made a mistake again. Thank you for your correction.

OK. I have corrected it in #8.

Oh! Yes. That is the right question tag. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] made a mistake again. Thank you for your correction.

OK. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] corrected it in #8.

Two things. One, you're welcome. (They pay me by the post, which is why I post so many. ;-) ) Two, past perfect seems to always be your first choice, but most of the time it's not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back