Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am really confused: he ask to "sit with" the good people and with the bad! "Evryone that helps indirectly — sit with them." and "Sit with the formal and informal Taliban"! So what does it mean here "sit with them"?

"Karzai asked the tribal leaders to help him bring peace to the province: “Stand for our homes! Doubtful men, doubtful behavior, everyone that helps indirectly — sit with them. Sit with the formal and informal Taliban! Confront the Taliban and informal Taliban and challenge their orders and commands!”

Source: The American War in Afghanistan by Carter Malkasian

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am really confused: he asks/asked to "sit with" the good people and with the bad! "Everyone that helps indirectly — sit with them." and "Sit with the formal and informal Taliban"! So what does it mean here "sit with them" mean here?

"Karzai asked the tribal leaders to help him bring peace to the province: “Stand for our homes! Doubtful men, doubtful behavior, everyone that helps indirectly — sit with them. Sit with the formal and informal Taliban! Confront the Taliban and informal Taliban and challenge their orders and commands!”

Source: The American War in Afghanistan by Carter Malkasian
I readily admit I'm not 100% sure but, given that the general idea seems to be to try to bring peace, I think it means "sit down with them and talk/negotiate".

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I readily admit I'm not 100% sure but, given that the general idea seems to be to try to bring peace, I think it means "sit down with them and talk/negotiate".
No, it is impossible to sit and talk with Taliban. He actually asked to help the US forces to fight Taliban.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it is impossible to sit and talk with the Taliban. He actually asked them to help the US forces fight the Taliban.
The words used don't suggest violence to me.

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The words used don't suggest violence to me.
But I know the context. Here are the next sentences:
"McChrystal and Ahmed Wali had chalked up a notable success in coaxing Karzai to once more involve himself in leading the people of Kandahar during war."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@meliss You can negotiate with people during the middle of a conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.