Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He was sitting towards the rear.

This sentence is taken from Collins Cobuild Usage. The Chinese Translated version of the book interprets this sentence as 'He was sitting facing the rear'.

I think this sentence means 'He was sitting near the rear'. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes.

The only practical way of saying that he was sitting facing the rear is that he was sitting facing the rear. :shock:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This sentence is taken from Collins Cobuild Usage. The Chinese Translated version of the book interprets this sentence as 'He was sitting facing the rear'.

Thank you in advance.

No. Picture a classroom with the teacher, the teacher's desk, a white/blackboard etc. in the front of the room and all students facing the front of the room except Joham, who was facing the rear of the room. Joham could be sitting at any location in the room but facing the rear.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you are right. If I get on a plane and sit towards the rear, it means my seat is far back in the plane, not that it faces backwards. We would say that he was sitting facing the rear or that his seat faced the rear if that was what was meant.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joham

Thank you in advance.
No. Picture a classroom with the teacher, the teacher's desk, a white/blackboard etc. in the front of the room and all students facing the front of the room except Joham, who was facing the rear of the room. Joham could be sitting at any location in the room but facing the rear.

:oops:

I think this may be a case of intercontinental drift!

In the UK, we would picture a coach with 30 forward-facing rows of seats. The passenger in row 1 is at the front, the one in row 30 is at the back, or rear. Those in row 4 are toward the front, whilst those in row 27 are toward the rear.

But little Johnny Different :roll: is sitting in the aisle on his suitcase facing the rear, so he can talk to his friends further back.

It looks like you'll have to decide which country you're in! Or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.