Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I'm confused by the use of the appostrove 's. Does the 's mean the owner?

Skysports' Gary Neville means Gary Neville is the owner of Skysports.
Mancherter City's Riyad Mahrez means Riyad Mahrez is the owner of Manchestery City.

Man City 3-1 Man Utd
Sky Sports' Gary Neville:

"The second-half has been a mauling. City have been dominant."

Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez told Sky Sports:

"I think I have touched four balls in the first 30 minutes, but in my head, I had to stay focus.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm confused by the use of the appostrove apostrophe+s ('s). Does the "'s" mean the owner?

"Sky Sports' Gary Neville" means Gary Neville is the owner of Sky Sports.
"Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez" means Riyad Mahrez is the owner of Manchester y City.

Man City 3-1 Man Utd
Sky Sports' Gary Neville:

"The second-half has been a mauling. City have been dominant."

Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez told Sky Sports:

"I think I have touched four balls in the first 30 minutes, but in my head, I had to stay focus.

Please note my corrections above. Take care with your spelling.

The use of an apostrophe + s can mean a lot of things. Yes, it usually refers to possession. In the two sentences you quoted, it means that the person named "works for/plays for".

Sky Sports' Gary Neville = Gary Neville, who works for Sky Sports
Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez - Riyad Mahrez, who plays for Manchester City

I think you've got the use of the possessive the wrong way round though, judging by what you guessed they mean.

"Alan's dog" means Alan is the owner of the dog, not the dog is the owner of Alan.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could I also say "Usingenglish's emrs2d2" to mean emsr2d2 who works for usingenglish?

I have heard someone say "Pep Guardiola's Manchester City". Should it have been writen "Manchester City's Pep Guardiola?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could I also say "Using English's emsr2d2" to mean emsr2d2 who works volunteers for Using English"?
Yes, you could say that. However, note that none of us "work" here!
I have heard someone say "Pep Guardiola's Manchester City". Should it have been written as "Manchester City's Pep Guardiola?"
In this case, both are possible. The first suggests that Man City sort of belongs to Guardiola because he's the manager. Of course, that's not entirely accurate - the club belongs to the owners. The second would fit into the category of Guardiola working for Man City.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Skysports' Gary Neville means Gary Neville is the owner of Skysports.
Mancherter City's Riyad Mahrez means Riyad Mahrez is the owner of Manchestery City.

You have it the wrong way round. Sky Sports owns Gary Neville and Manchester City owns Riyad Mahrez. The 'ownership' in these cases is one of contractual employment.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have heard someone say "Pep Guardiola's Manchester City". Should it have been writen "Manchester City's Pep Guardiola?"

This is different. In this case, Manchester City is the team, not the club. Pep owns the team. It's his team.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
You have it the wrong way round. Sky Sports owns Gary Neville and Manchester City owns Riyad Mahrez. The 'ownership' in these cases is one of contractual employment.
So when the 's indicates posession or affiliation, it means an employee of or belong to, doesn't it?

Sky Sports' Gary Neville = Gary Neville belongs to (is an employee of) Sky Sports.
Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez = Riyad Mahrez belongs to (is an employee of) Manchester City.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
This is different. In this case, Manchester City is the team, not the club. Pep owns the team. It's his team.
Well, I think Sheikh Mansour is the owner of Man City, not Pep. Pep only works as a coach. I still don't understand what the role 's here is. Is it an abbriviated form of "has?" Pep's Manchester City = Pep has Manchester City. This makes sense.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It makes no sense, Kontol: you said yourself that Pep is employed by Manchester City as a coach.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If Manchester City under Pep, the construction of the sentence is person + 's + team. If Pep is an employee of a team, the construction is team + 's + person. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So when the 's indicates posession or affiliation, it means an employee of or belong to, doesn't it?

Sky Sports' Gary Neville = Gary Neville belongs to (is an employee of) Sky Sports.
Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez = Riyad Mahrez belongs to (is an employee of) Manchester City.

Yes, right.

Well, I think Sheikh Mansour is the owner of Man City, not Pep. Pep only works as a coach. I still don't understand what the role 's here is. Is it an abbriviated form of "has?" Pep's Manchester City = Pep has Manchester City. This makes sense.

No, the apostrophe is possessive. The team belongs to Pep. It's his team. I've already told you that. He's assigned by the club as the head coach, and so he has the team in his hands.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Pep Guardiola is the manager of Man City, not the owner or the coach!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just to be clear: Pep Guardiola is the Head Coach. That's what we used to call the 'Manager'.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Pep Guardiola is the manager of Man City, not the owner or the coach!
Isn't he the coach? Being a huge soccer fan, I feel the terms 'manager' and 'coach' are synonymous in this case.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Emsr2d2 does have a point there. They discuss this here.

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Can I also say "Kontol's Indonesia" to mean "Indonesia under Kontol?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I also say "Kontol's Indonesia" to mean "Indonesia under Kontol?"
Only if someone called Kontol is king/president/prime minister (other leader titles might apply) of Indonesia.

***I would discourage everyone from Googling the name of the country and the OP's username together. You'll get a lot of 18+ NSFW websites!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just to be clear: Pep Guardiola is the Head Coach. That's what we used to call the 'Manager'.
There's an interesting discussion on the difference between them HERE.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I found this on a New Zealand website: "Pep Guardiola is the coach of Manchester City. His side are now 10 points clear of Manchester United, who only have three games left.". The two terms ('manager' and 'coach') seem to be used interchangeably.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We've gone quite far off topic here, but people seem interested in the use of the words 'coach' and 'manager' in football.

Yes, they are used interchangeably by almost all fans, pundits, and journalists. However, there is a distinction made by some people on the inside of clubs, to align with fairly recent changes in how clubs are run. To complicate things more, different clubs use different managerial structures. I believe that in Guardiola's particular case, he has more control over the managerial side of things than most other head coaches.