Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Philippines
A: I often go to concerts these days.
B: So do I.

How B replied is obviously correct.
Then, if A says, "I rarely go to concerts these days," how should B reply?

B1: So do I.
B2: Neither do I.

I think B1 is correct because, even though "I rarely go" has a negative sense, that sentence have a positive construction. Correct?

A: I hardly understand what he says.
B1: So do I.
B2: Neither do I.

B1 is also OK?

A: I have only little money with me.

Also correct?

if A says, "I rarely go to concerts these days," how should B reply?

B1: So do I......B2: Neither do I.

I think B1 is correct because, even though "I rarely go" has a negative sense, that sentence have a positive construction. Correct?

A: I hardly understand what he says.
B1: So do I. .....B2: Neither do I.

B1 is also OK?
No. The negative sense of rarely and hardly means that the B2 answers are the natural ones.
A: I have only little money with me.

Also correct?
That's difficult to answer, because A's statement is rather unnatural. A would probably say 'I haven't got much money with me'. However, if we take the slightly more natural, 'I have very little money with me' the response is 'Neither have I'

I agree with 5jj's answer, but just want to add for the benefit of ESL students that native speakers are just as likely to respond 'Me, too' or 'Me, neither'.

Rover

Thank you for your very interesting replies.
Then which is correct in the following dialogues?

A: I understood his speech only partly.
B: (So/Neither) did I.

A: Do you have any money with you?
B: (Yes/No). I have just a little.

A: Do you have some money with you?

A: Have you ever watched Japanese anime?
B: (Yes but only rarely./ No, I rarely have.)

Tell us what you think first.

I feel like saying,
So did I. (I understood his speech only partly, too)
However, according to the previous advice, "only partly" seems to have a negative meaning, so I still wonder.

I would say,
"Yes" because I do have money even just a little, being asked if I had ANY amount of money even just a little bit.

Here, I think I should say, No.
Because A asked me if I had SOME, considerably much or enough for some purpose, money, but I think the money I have is obviously too little.

I really wonder which I should say.
Yes would be correct because I have watched Japanese anime, even though only rarely. If I said NO, it would mean I NEVER have.

Is my understanding correct?

I feel like saying,
So did I. (I understood his speech only partly, too)
However, according to the previous advice, "only partly" seems to have a negative meaning, so I still wonder. "So did I" is correct.

I would say,
"Yes" because I do have money even just a little, being asked if I had ANY amount of money even just a little bit. "Yes" is correct.

Here, I think I should say, No.
Because A asked me if I had SOME, considerably much or enough for some purpose, money, but I think the money I have is obviously too little. "Yes" is correct.

I really wonder which I should say.
Yes would be correct because I have watched Japanese anime, even though only rarely. If I said NO, it would mean I NEVER have.
"Yes, but only rarely" is correct.
Is my understanding correct?

Bhai.

Well, it still seems a bit tricky.

B: (Yes). I have just
a little.

If YES is correct here, No is correct below?

B: (No). I have got
just little.

If Neither is correct in the case below, "little" without "a" should be regarded as a negative word?
A: I've got jut little money.
B: Neither have I/Neither do I.

I still wonder why B should say Neither, even though he DOES have money even though the amount is 'just/very little'.

If you have some, you have more than zero. Therefore any amount, no matter how little, is some.

As 5jj said, your sample sentence is highly unnatural. If you said "I've got just a little money" the response to agree is "So do I" or "Me too."

I wonder why "I have only little money with me" sounds highly unnatural.
There is only little water in the jar.---- Isn't this OK? I don't find any difference.

A: I know little about science.
B: (Neither) do I.

A: I know a little about science.
B: (So) do I.

Still confused.

I wonder why "I have only little money with me" sounds highly unnatural.
There's nothing wrong with it.It's just that we tend not to say it
There is only little water in the jar.---- Isn't this OK? I don't find any difference
Despite what some coursebooks may suggest, most of us, in informal conversation say "There isn't much water in the jar".
.Still confused.
There's no need to be confused. 'Little' tends be be used in more formal speech and writing, 'not much' in everyday language.

Thanks for your advice.
So, may I think that "little", "hardly", "rarely" and other such words include NOT in the meaning, which is the reason that No or Neither is appropriate to use in replying?

Yes and to add to your storehouse of knowledge, if you start a sentence with those negative-sense words, you invert the subject and verb. Rarely will you see such a beautiful site. Little did I know, ... Hardly had I started when I ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back