Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
After I recovered from spinal cord TB doctors told me that one of my vertebrates was damaged and I would have to make make lower back muscles strong enough so that I would not need that damaged vertebrate to perform daily chores. Or so, that my muscles could work as a replacement for that damaged vertebrate.

Is it correct to say "so that I would not need that damaged vertebrate to perform daily chores"? Do I need to use "Didn't" or "Wouldn't" after "So that I"? What do we need to use in these kinds of sentences "Did" or "Would"?

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After I recovered from spinal-cord TB, my doctors told me that one of my [STRIKE]vertebrates[/STRIKE] vertebrae was damaged and I would have to make make my lower back muscles strong enough so that I would not need that [STRIKE]damaged[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]vertebrate[/STRIKE] vertebra to perform daily chores. Or, so [no comma] [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] my muscles could work as a replacement for that damaged [STRIKE]vertebrate[/STRIKE] vertebra.

Is it correct to say "so that I would not need that damaged [STRIKE]vertebrate[/STRIKE] vertebra to perform daily chores"? Do I need to use "didn't" or "wouldn't" after "so that I"? What do we need to use in these kinds of sentences, "did" or "would"?
Don't use an initial capital to emphasize a word. The bone is a vertebra. Its irregular plural is vertebrae. A vertebrate is an animal with a spine or "backbone".

Wouldn't is the contracted version of would not. They mean the same thing and are both correct. Didn't would not work in your sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Say: I need to strengthen my lower back muscles so that they could be used to perform chores without having to strain my vertebra which is damaged.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: I need to strengthen my lower back muscles so that they could be used to perform chores without having to strain my vertebra which is damaged.
Tufguy, this text isn't quite right. I've underlined a mismatched tense and a phrase which could be replaced with a single word in a different location.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I need to strengthen my lower back muscles so that they can be used to perform chores without having to strain my damaged vertebra.

I think can/could could be used.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need to strengthen my lower back muscles so that they can be used to perform chores without having to strain my damaged vertebra.:tick:

I think can/could could be used.:cross:
"Could" doesn't work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.