Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does in this context "So why you can't speak English out?" work? Should it be "So why can't you speak English out?"?

====================
(Here's a Chinese guy talking about how to learn English on Chinese version of TikTok)

So why you can't speak English out?
Because you spend a lot of time on memorizing vocabulary and grammar. Hey, guys, trust me, it's useless. Because after that you'll realize that you gonna forget them, OK? So if you really want to speak English out, you have to master some useful sentence structures.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Does in this context "So why you can't speak English out?" work? Should it be "So why can't you speak English out?"?

Your quoted text is different from the original.

"Speak English out" is wrong. "Speak out" is an idiom which means something else.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Speak English out" is wrong. "Speak out" is an idiom which means something else.

Yeah, it seems that only "speak it out" works.

"Speak out something like English" is a structure mostly recommended.

But let's see what will native English speakers coment - whether the form of "speak English out" is acceptable.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do not try to learn English from that person.

Could you edit "So why you can't speak English out?" into a proper English sentence?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It can't be edited, because it's meaningless. You'd have to know what the speaker meant.

"Why can't you confidently speak English out loud?" is my guess at the intended meaning. If that is the case, why edit something that is wrong for that meaning? By the way, "out loud" is the phrase, not "English out". E.g. "Don't just think it. Say it out loud."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the guy means " So you can't express yourself (orally) in English?" It was addressed to learners and that is what learners aspire to do. It is an irony.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It can't be edited, because it's meaningless. You'd have to know what the speaker meant.

"Why can't you confidently speak English out loud?" is my guess at the intended meaning. If that is the case, why edit something that is wrong for that meaning? By the way, "out loud" is the phrase, not "English out". E.g. "Don't just think it. Say it out loud."

Yeah. "Speak English out" doesn't mean "orally express in English." Rather, it seems to mean "Keep speaking until that thing named English go out and vanish." I am not very sure.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Agreed.

Thread closed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
His title's rubbish, but his criticism about memorising vocab is spot-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.