Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As I know, "soap opera" was coined to refer to countless commercials on TV drama. But according to this paragraph, it seems it was invented in radio times. Did radio have many commercials back then?
2-4)Likewise, the words soap and opera had been around for several hundred years, but the term soap opera was coined only after the invention of the radio. Cab, which is short for taxi cab, and skyscraper also reflect the emergence of new inventions or phenomena.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to read the definition of 'soap opera'.

It has nothing to do with commercials.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks, but it has something to do with soap manufacturers as below, so I can't help but conclude that even radio had such commercials.

soap opera n
  • a serialized drama, usually dealing with domestic themes and characterized by sentimentality, broadcast on radio or television
Etymology: 20th Century: so called because manufacturers of soap were typical sponsors

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I believe the term "soap opera" originated in late-30s US radio, for the reason stated in your source. The daytime melodramas aimed at housewives were typically sponsored by soap manufacturers and were punctuated by advertisements for their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.