Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I hear the guy does not say soda fountain pronouncing foun. Doesn't he?
47:33.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I cannot hear the guy does not say "foun" in soda fountain. pronouncing foun. Doesn't Does he?
47:28.
He clearly says "soda fountain". I'm not sure why you can't hear it. The second syllable of the word is a little bit swallowed, making it sound like "foun(t)uhn". That's a common way of pronouncing it. I believe the term for the "t" is a "glottal t".
Note my corrections to your opening sentences.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
He clearly says "soda fountain". I'm not sure why you can't hear it. The second syllable of the word is a little bit swallowed, making it sound like "foun(t)uhn". That's a common way of pronouncing it. I believe the term for the "t" is a "glottal t".
Note my corrections to your opening sentences.
Is his way of pronouncing consonant with/ˈsaʊnə/?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is his way of pronouncing consonant with/ˈsaʊnə/?
I don't know what this means - can you ask your question a different way please? Also, I'm not great with phonetic symbols but that doesn't look like it says "soda" to me. Is that what it's meant to say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Ah. I thought it was either toner or sauna. @svetlana14 There's no "n" in soda. What were you trying to ask?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm still struggling to understand why I cannot hear the ending or the second syllable in fountain. I imagined that the fountain could be rhymed with sauna/ˈsaʊnə/ in case t is a glottal stop in the fountain. Is it possible?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The entirety of the second syllable is extremely short. You're expecting to hear a clear "t", then perhaps a long "ai" and then a clear "n". None of those things are "there". The "tain" is more like a glottal t, a short "uh" and a barely perceptible "n".

Normally, I would suggest that a learner visit Forvo to hear pronunciations of words. However, in this case, it won't help because on Forvo people tend to enunciate very clearly. The voice in your example video is saying the word in a more everyday, standard, rapid speech style.

I don't think you need to worry about it too much!!!

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The entirety of the second syllable is extremely short. You're expecting to hear a clear "t", then perhaps a long "ai" and then a clear "n". None of those things are "there". The "tain" is more like a glottal t, a short "uh" and a barely perceptible "n".

Normally, I would suggest that a learner visit Forvo to hear pronunciations of words. However, in this case, it won't help because on Forvo people tend to enunciate very clearly. The voice in your example video is saying the word in a more everyday, standard, rapid speech style.

I don't think you need to worry about it too much!!!
Can you please give me a couple of words which would sound like that under such circumstances?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
[2:54]
Group 2
fountain
curtain
button
important
In the video recording you mentioned in your post, the lady uses a stop t. Interestingly, Rachel (a very popular American teacher on Youtube) does not use the term "stop t" in her video recording - she says instead that it is the case of the so-called "stop t", giving the word "mountain" as an example. In addition, another American teacher says that sometimes Americans call glottal stop as stop t. I would say that the link you kindly gave me is closer to the stop t as Rachel explains in her posted Youtube video recording and it is Rachel's pronunciation resembles the way the guy from my original post says. Have you any idea? Is it correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj