Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Good mornig:

Can I write "some Mary's friends"?
My teacher said no. She said It means "Friends of Some Mary" because before proper name can't use SOME and I understand "some Friends of Mary". My teacher says It must write "Some of Mary's friends".

I have read a post with similar question but with A/AN and I dont't know if with SOME it's the same (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...nite-article-before-a-possessive-noun.234589/),
so I think that "some Mary's friends" is right.

Thanks very much

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Good morning:

Can I write "some Mary's friends"?
My teacher said no. She said it means "friends of some Mary" because before a proper name, we can't use "some", but I think it means SOME and I understand "some friends of Mary". My teacher says It must write it should be "some of Mary's friends".

I have read a post with a similar question but with A/AN an/an, and but I dont't don't know if with SOME it's the same with "some", (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...nite-article-before-a-possessive-noun.234589/),
so I think that "some Mary's friends" is right.

Thanks very much.
Your teacher is correct.

Eva Spain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
If Possessive nouns function as adjectives, why can't we use "some" before Mary's?. I don't understand

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think if you say 'some Mary's friends' it will mean 'friends of some Mary', i.e. those of someone whose name is Mary. Like Jutfrank and Teechar, I'd definitely go with 'some of Mary's friends' here. Besides, you wouldn't say 'some my friends', would you? It is 'some of my friends', isn't it?

Last edited:

Eva Spain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, you're right.
Thanks you very much.
Kind Regards

This site is very fantastic!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you're right.
Thanks Thank you very much.
Kind regards.

This site is very fantastic!!
Note my changes above. On its own, "Thanks" is correct but if you add "you" it has to be "Thank you".
"Kind regards" can be used at the end of a letter (similar to "Saludos/Un saludo" in Spanish) but it's not necessary on this forum.
We don't use the intensifier "very" with "fantastic" because it already means "very good".
Also, bear in mind that there is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply add the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful (hover your cursor over "Like" and the "Thanks" icon will pop up).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think there may be some confusion between different uses of 'some' going on here.

a) I have some good friends.

In the noun phrase above, some is an indefinite determiner, good is an adjective and friends is a head noun. The word some is used in place of saying a specific number.

b) I like some of Mary's friends.

In this sentence, some of quantifies Mary's friends. The sentence means that I like a limited number, but not all, of Mary's friends. When you use a possessive word like 'Mary's' or 'my' or 'your', you have to use 'some of', not just 'some'. It's the same with other similar quantity words:

I like most of Mary's friends.
I like all of your friends.
He invited half of his friends.
I went with two of my friends.