Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can we say that "someone has graduated with an honors degree"? She must be good at science because she has done science honors or graduated with a science degree.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of an honors degree, and the phrase "as done honors science" is meaningless.

Maybe something called an honors degree exists in other countries. In the US we say someone has graduated with honors or with high honors.

Sometimes we're more specific and say that someone graduated cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude. Those levels of recognition are written on the diploma and are part of the graduate's academic record.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can we say that (1) "someone has graduated with an honors degree"?

(2) She must be good at science because she has done science honors or graduated with a science degree.
1. Yes, if that wording is used at the university from which the person graduated.

2. Which is it? Please just write one sentence at a time.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Yes, if that wording is used at the university from which the person graduated.

2. Which is it? Please just write one sentence at a time.

1) She must be good at science because she has done science honors. (This one is wrong but can "has done" be replaced by something else here?)

2)
She must be good at science because she graduated with a science honors degree.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't like 1. I would change 2 to say she graduated in science. In BrE at least, we rarely refer to the honours part of a degree- most people who graduate get an honours degree, so it is nothing special.