English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Good evening!

Would it be grammatically correct (or at least acceptable) to say "anywhere" in the following sentence?

"We can't buy her anything expensive. Maybe we can take her to a different place, ___________________ with a beautiful view to have a picnic!"
(This was taken from an exam, the answer key shows "somewhere" as the correct answer.)

Thank you very much for your answers! Feel free to ask for more detail, if needed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We need more detail - "an exam" isn't enough information about the source.

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Well, it is from a written test for learners of English as a foreign language in their second year of learning (6th grade). It was made by a group of teachers from a highschool, so there isn't really a source to it (like a book, for instance). Students had to complete the dialogue with words from a box (some, any, something, anything, and so on). There were more words in the box than they needed, so they had to choose carefully.
If you need more context, I can write the whole exercise (e.g. the complete dialogue) here.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's poor question design because both somewhere and anywhere are grammatical and both make sense, although of course their meanings differ.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with "somewhere " there. Why? They don't want to go anywhere. They want to narrow things down more than that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The both work because both are then qualified (narrowed down) with "with a beautiful view".

Helen: Where do you want to go for our weekend away?
John: Somewhere with a spa.

Helen: Where do you want to go for our weekend away?
John: Anywhere with a spa.

In the second, he's effectively saying "I'll go anywhere - as long as it has a spa".

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Thanky you all for your valuable information! That was all I wanted to know.
I understand that "somewhere" is kind of "more correct", more usual - that is also the reason why it is given in the answer key as the correct answer. On the other hand, answer keys are only sample solutions, and we as teachers are allowed to give points to different answers, as long as they are gramatically or idiomatically acceptable (as long as it works, that is as long as a native speaker understands it without finding it too awkward or artificial).
In this case, I had the feeling that "anywhere" also fitted in the sentence, just like emsr2d2 mentioned: they will go anywhere, as long as it has a beautiful view and they can have a picnic there. I wouldn't want to give the student a point if it weren't acceptable; neither did I want to leave the point out if it can be considered grammatically correct. Some of the other teachers disagreed by saying that "anywhere" is used for negative sentences and questions, so it would be the wrong answer there, since it is an affirmative sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think 'somewhere" is a better answer. "Anywhere" does have negative connotations or carries a "can't-be-bothered" tone. In an exam. questions can sometimes ask for the best answer, not just any correct answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No one has said that they're not both correct. In my opinion, if there are two grammatically correct answers and the question doesn't make it clear that they're looking for the better of the two possibilities, it's a poor question.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is poor question design because both somewhere and anywhere are grammatical and both make sense although the meanings differ of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.