[General] Sorry, that'll be a private meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with Kevin in an online group about our meeting after the Chinese New Year. Someone wanted to join us for our conversation. Kevin and I are going to meet and have a conversation together. I refused them person saying "Sorry, that'll be a private meeting between Kevin and I".

Is the italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's very common for native speakers to say things like between Kevin and I. Learners should use the correct object pronoun. :)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's very common for native speakers to say things like between Kevin and I. Learners should use the correct object pronoun. :)

I did use Kevin and I. Is my italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did use Kevin and I. Is my italic sentence natural?

You might hear a native speaker say it. I was too subtle in my previous post and didn't clearly point out the grammatical error it contains, one very commonly made by native speakers. Can you fix it?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You might hear a native speaker say it. I was too subtle in my previous post and didn't clearly point out the grammatical error it contains, one very commonly made by native speakers. Can you fix it?

I'd been thinking about that until I read your post in #4. I know the correct form or perhaps more common form is "between Kevin and me". Hmm, but I do see native spakers say "XX and I". Anyway, is my new italic sentence natural?

"Sorry, that'll be a private meeting between Kevin and me".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was chatting with Kevin in an online group about our meeting after the Chinese New Year. Someone wanted to join us for our conversation. Kevin and I are going to meet and have a conversation together. I refused the person, saying "Sorry, that'll be a private meeting between Kevin and me".

Hi, Silver!

The meeting is not between we. It's between us. It's between Kevin and me.

Without a comma, it's the person who wants to join you who says "Sorry." With a comma, it means you said "Sorry." So you need a comma.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd been thinking about that until I read your post in #4. I know the correct form or perhaps more common form is "between Kevin and me". Hmm, but I do see native spakers say "XX and I". Anyway, is my new italic sentence natural?

Your sentence is reasonably natural.

It's only grammatically correct with the object pronoun "me". Nevertheless, I'm certain that a large majority of Americans use the "incorrect" subject pronoun "I". They won't notice if you do the same but I encourage you to use "me".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd been thinking about that until I read your post in #4. I know the correct form or perhaps more common form is "between Kevin and me". Hmm, but I do see native speakers say "XX and I".

Sometimes me is grammatical. Sometimes I is grammatical. It depends on the sentence. In yours, me is grammatical.

To make it more confusing, a lot of us native speakers (not we native speakers!) have terrible grammar. Hearing it doesn't make it right.

Anyway, is my new italic sentence natural?

The one below? Yes.

English can be a bear. Hang in there, man!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I read my sentences again and again and I have a question. Which is the most natural one?

1) Sorry, that'll be a private meeting. (It's okay because the context is clear and it's concise)
2) Sorry, it'll be between Kevin and me.

Or do I need to use my original one?

Sorry, that'll be a private meeting between Kevin and me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was chatting [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] to Kevin in an online group about our [STRIKE]meeting[/STRIKE] plan to meet online after the Chinese New Year. Someone wanted to join [STRIKE]us for our[/STRIKE] the planned conversation, but Kevin and I are going to meet [STRIKE]and have a conversation together[/STRIKE] privately. I refused [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] that person, saying "Sorry, that'll be a private meeting between Kevin and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] me".

See above. I see no need for "between Kevin and me". You can just say "Sorry. It'll be a private meeting".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above. I see no need for "between Kevin and me". You can just say "Sorry. It'll be a private meeting".

Hmm, it'll be a get-together between Kevin and me, actually, emsr2d2. It's an offline one. Is the above sentence still natural in this context?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's still natural. Ems's version is just more concise. The meaning will be the same either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.