Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Suppose you and your friend are playing volleyball. The ball goes over the fence into your neighbor's yard. You want to retrieve the ball, and you say to your neighbor:

Sorry, our ball went/has gone over the fence. It's over there. Could you get it for us please?

I asked an American English speaker, and he said:
If I were to talk to my neighbor while going to retrieve it, I'd certainly say, "Sorry, our ball went over the fence." Saying, "Sorry, our ball has gone over the fence" sounds too stiff and formal to me. It is almost strange.
Does it work the same way in British English, or do you find the use of the present perfect "has gone" natural in this context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I should think the responses to the many similar questions you have asked before would help you come up with your own answer.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
For me, it has to be "has gone" because the ball is still over the fence (the present effect of a past action).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, it has to be "has gone" because the ball is still over the fence (the present effect of a past action).
That's the tense I would use. In reality, like most people who grew up in my era, I'd knock on the door and utter the oft-repeated phrase "Can I have my ball back?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's the tense I would use. In reality, like most people who grew up in my era, I'd knock on the door and utter the oft-repeated phrase "Can I have my ball back?"
@EngLearner. This is one reason we have urged you on more than one occasion to use real sentences produced by native speakers. If you make up your own in order to clarify the uses of the tenses/aspects, we will sometimes be discussing sentences that native speakers would not utter.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

It doesn't 'have to be', but yes, you're thinking on the right lines.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The ball went over the fence. Simple past. You don't "have to" describe it any other way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your ball didn't get over there all on its own. To be polite, you could take responsibility for it - "Sorry, I hit/kicked/knocked my ball over your fence. May I go and retrieve it please?"

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
This one also works in British English in the context of post #1:

Sorry, I've hit/kicked/knocked my ball over your fence. May I go and retrieve it please?

Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not wrong but there's no good reason not to use the simple past.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not wrong but there's no good reason not to use the simple past.

I understand EngLearner to be saying in post #3 that there is a good reason, which is to focus on a "present effect of a past action".

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Sorry, I've hit/kicked/knocked my ball over your fence. May I go and retrieve it please?
@jutfrank, do you agree with me that there's a good reason to use the present perfect in the quoted sentence?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A speaker could have a good reason to the present perfect there, yes. As you say, the present perfect form focuses on the present result of the action (the ball being in the neighbour's garden) rather than on the past action of kicking. That's an appropriate focus to make for a situation like this.