Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I used 'louder' for a grammar exercise. The given answer is 'more loudly'. Why is it so?

The emcee encouraged every person to speak LOUDER/MORE LOUDLY when they deliver their speech.

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both versions are correct. The word 'loud', besides being an adjective, is also an adverb in its own right, so speak louder is fine.

loud

adv.

1. in a loud manner: loudly: Don't talk so loud.
(Collins)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things, Oceanlike.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with louder. In fact, you hear it often. Example: "I couldn't understand you. Please speak louder." However, more loudly seems downright weird to me.

There is no need to put "Thank you" in your opening post. In fact, I wish you wouldn't.

:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So do I. I see you have clicked 'Thank' 367 times in the past after you have received responses.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things, Oceanlike.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with louder. . . . However, more loudly seems downright weird to me. . . .
Both sound fine to me.

Oceanlike, when you get several different opinions here, it just means that there are a lot of ways to speak English.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Two things, Oceanlike.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with louder. In fact, you hear it often. Example: "I couldn't understand you. Please speak louder." However, more loudly seems downright weird to me.

There is no need to put "Thank you" in your opening post. In fact, I wish you wouldn't.

:)

Me too! I think 'more loudly' is so weird!

About the "Thank you" that I usually put along with my original post, it's just natural to me as I appreciate folks like you taking time to help me understand stuff. May I know is it not okay to do that? It comes naturally to me to express my appreciation via 'thank you'.

"In fact, I wish you wouldn't" ---- why? I sincerely appreciate being able to learn from all of you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Me too! I think 'more loudly' is so weird!

About the "Thank you" that I usually put along with my original post, it's just natural to me as I appreciate folks like you taking time to help me understand stuff. May I know is it not okay to do that? It comes naturally to me to express my appreciation via 'thank you'.

"In fact, I wish you wouldn't" ---- why? I sincerely appreciate being able to learn from all of you.

It's entirely natural to thank people for their help ... after they help you! That's what the "Thank" button is for.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
So do I. I see you have clicked 'Thank' 367 times in the past after you have received responses.

Usually I click "Thank" when I'm unsure about the accuracy of the reply due to my inability to understand the way things are phrased OR to express thanks to the person who took time to reply.

I didn't know it's frowned on :-(

I'll learn not to click 'Thank' then.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
It's entirely natural to thank people for their help ... after they help you! That's what the "Thank" button is for.

Oh I see...then what about the "Like" button? It's when I like the reply? Then i'll be clicking on 'Thank' and 'Like' many times :-D

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's usually enough to click one of the above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Teachers/native speakers usually click the "Like" button to indicate that they agree with the contents.
Learners click on the "Thank" button to show their gratitude for the information in a post.
Teachers/native speakers click on the "Thank" button (usually) to show that they also learned something from a post.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually I click "Thank" when I'm unsure about the accuracy of the reply due to my inability to understand the way things are phrased OR to express thanks to the person who took time to reply.

I didn't know it's frowned on :-(

I'll learn not to click 'Thank' then.
No one is frowning except your little round friend there.

Use Thank to thank. If you like a post, use Like.

Simple!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There's a simple, practical reason why those of us who frequently answer questions here prefer that you don't include a closing line in your posts. We like to keep quoted text as short as possible, so we delete extraneous material from quotes—including the "Thank you" some posters courteously add. This gets tedious after a while.

There's a simple alternative: open your profile and add a signature line. Signatures appear below the body of a post and aren't included when quoting, so they provide a way for you to add a courteous "thanks" without making responders do extra work.

My signature line says "I am not a teacher." Yours could say something about your gratitude for the help you get here.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
There's a simple, practical reason why those of us who frequently answer questions here prefer that you don't include a closing line in your posts. We like to keep quoted text as short as possible, so we delete extraneous material from quotes—including the "Thank you" some posters courteously add. This gets tedious after a while.

There's a simple alternative: open your profile and add a signature line. Signatures appear below the body of a post and aren't included when quoting, so they provide a way for you to add a courteous "thanks" without making responders do extra work.

Oh dear! I didn't know that the "Thank you" in my original post gave responders extra work! I'm so sorry. I'll be sure NOT to include a "thank you" in future. I appreciate the education here.

Status
Not open for further replies.