Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'd like to know why the present continuous is used in "be returning".
This isn't present continuous. The full verb phrase is "will be returning', which is future continuous. One use of the future continuous is for parallel actions happening at the same time in the future. In this case, Duran will be returning to the command ship while the Captain is doing something else at the same time.

I'd also like to know what the difference between "I'll be returning to the command ship presently" and "I'll return to the command ship presently" and "I'm returning to the command ship presently" is.

The first is future continuous, explained above. The second is simple future. It has several uses, including promises, predictions, voluntary actions, and spontaneous decisions (the prediction sense wouldn't apply here.) Your last example is present continuous, and could either be an action in progress or speaking of the very near future (depending upon which sense of 'presently' is used).

All that being said, as Goes mentioned, there's often not much difference.

Is "speaking" a gerund?

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I wrote in another thread recently:

Like many grammarians, I do not find the term gerund helpful.

Aarts, Bas (2011), Oxford Modern English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles. He refers to both as -ing participles.

Carter, Ronald and Michael McCarty (2006) Cambridge Grammar of English, do not differentiate between gerunds and participles. They refer to both as -ing forms.

Chalker, Sylvia (1984), Current English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles in the body of the book. She refers to both as -ing forms. She writes: A distinction is often made between gerunds ('verbal nouns') and participles, which are more like verbs or adjectives. In fact the -ing form cannot be quite so neatly divided.

Huddleston, Rodney and Geoffrey Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English language, write: [...] we reject an analysis that has gerund and participle as different forms syncretised throughout the class of verb We have therefore just one inflectional form of the verb marked by the -ing suffix; we label it with the compound term 'gerund-participle' .

Quirk, Randolph et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, note a complex gradience of fourteen different uses of -ing- forms from nouns (deverbal count nouns , abstract-non count verbal nouns), through the traditionally named gerund to the traditionally-named (present) participle. They write of the forms that are not clearly nouns, [...] we do not find it useful to distinguish a gerund from a participle, but terminologically class all these forms as PARTICIPLES.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "speaking" in the contiunous tense?

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your last example is present continuous, and could either be an action in progress or speaking of the very near future (depending upon which sense of 'presently' is used).
If the words I have inderined were not there, I'd say yes - your last example ... could be speaking of the very near future ... . It could be *!0 a progressive form, modal aspect.

However, with the missing words, this could be interpreted as ... could either be an action in progress or (the act of) speaking of the very near future ... , in which case in is not progressive.

Incidentally, few grammarians think of aspects as tenses, though they often show tense.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As I wrote in another thread recently:

Aarts, Bas (2011), Oxford Modern English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles. He refers to both as -ing participles.

Carter, Ronald and Michael McCarty (2006) Cambridge Grammar of English, do not differentiate between gerunds and participles. They refer to both as -ing forms.

Chalker, Sylvia (1984), Current English Grammar, does not differentiate between gerunds and participles in the body of the book. She refers to both as -ing forms. She writes: A distinction is often made between gerunds ('verbal nouns') and participles, which are more like verbs or adjectives. In fact the -ing form cannot be quite so neatly divided.

Huddleston, Rodney and Geoffrey Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English language, write: [...] we reject an analysis that has gerund and participle as different forms syncretised throughout the class of verb We have therefore just one inflectional form of the verb marked by the -ing suffix; we label it with the compound term 'gerund-participle' .

Quirk, Randolph et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, note a complex gradience of fourteen different uses of -ing- forms from nouns (deverbal count nouns , abstract-non count verbal nouns), through the traditionally named gerund to the traditionally-named (present) participle. They write of the forms that are not clearly nouns, [...] we do not find it useful to distinguish a gerund from a participle, but terminologically class all these forms as PARTICIPLES.

What are the meanings of "syncretised throughout the class of verb" and "note a complex gradience"?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm still having trouble understanding those parts.
Would you rephrase them?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty sure this is what Skrej meant:

... could be ... speaking of the very near future.

You can see that speaking is a verb in the progressive form, not a gerund.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
could either be an action in progress or (the act of) speaking of the very near future ... , in which case in is not progressive.
And in which case it would be a gerund, wouldn't it?
I find the term very helpful and practical. A gerund clearly functions differently from other ing-forms in a sentence, that can be nouns, participles (part of speech), part of a compound verb, or adjectives. I've never understood why some grammarians reject the term.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England