Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I walked over to the house and stopped/stood next to the entrance.

Are they both correct? Do they both mean the same thing?

They're both possible. Of course they don't mean the same. I'm sure you know the difference between the verbs "stop" and "stand".

You could put them both into the same sentence, thus:

He stopped next to the entrance then stood there for several minutes.

They're both possible. Of course they don't mean the same. I'm sure you know the difference between the verbs "stop" and "stand".

I have realized I'm a little confused.

Here's a sentence I found: 'Tom stood in front of the mirror and looked at his reflection.'

Does that mean he was already standing and suddenly decided to have a look at his reflection? Or that he stopped in front of the mirror and looked at his reflection?

Where did you find this sentence?

It can mean both.

It can mean both.

To make this clear once and for all, here is the thing: I have come to realize that there some verbs in the English language that can be used to describe both the action of putting something (or oneself) in a position and the action of keeping something (or oneself) in that position. I don't know whether there is a term for such verbs. Below are a few examples anyway.

He leant against the wall. (Refers to the moment he put himself in that position. But it also implies he remained in that position afterward.)

He was leaning against the wall. (Refers to him continuously being/remaining in that position.)

He aimed a gun at them. (Refers only to the moment he turned the gun to them. But it also implies he didn't do it only for a moment.)

He was aiming a gun at them. (Refers to him holding the gun up with the edge the bullets come out of turned to them.)

He shined a flashlight into the room. (Refers to the moment he turned the flashlight towards the interior of the room. But, obviously, he didn't turn it elsewhere the next moment.)

He was shining a flashlight into the room. (He was holding up a flashlight in such a way so that the room was not dark.)

Suddenly, a torch illuminated the room. (Refers to the moment the room stopped being dark. But that doesn't mean that it went back to being dark after that moment.)

A torch was illuminating the room. (Refers to the continuous action.)

He gripped her arm. (The moment he took hold of it.)

He was gripping her arm. (Continuous process.)

Have I got it right? Correct me if I'm wrong. And, finally, what I'm asking in the OP is: Is 'stand' one of those verbs?

If I write, 'He walked over to the house and stood next to the entrance,' is the meaning clear, or do I have to write, 'He walked over to the house and stopped next to the entrance' instead?

Last edited:
Have I got it right? And, finally, what I'm asking in the OP is: Is 'stand' one of those verbs?

Yes and yes.

If I write, 'He walked over to the house and stood next to the entrance,' is the meaning clear, or do I have to write, 'He walked over to the house and stopped next to the entrance' instead?

The context makes it clear that stood means he stopped walking.

Yes and yes.

The context makes it clear that stood means he stopped walking.

Wow, you helped a lot. You're awesome. By the way, we should make a list of those verbs one of these days and pin it somewhere on this forum. ;-) May I start?

Point, aim, grasp, grip, clasp, clutch, shine, lean, rest, stand, sit, look, squeeze, grope, fondle, stare, gaze, glare, illuminate, light up, sit up, cup, steeple...

Add more if you want!

Also, we should find a proper term to call them by. I can't believe those who made grammar neglected that!

Last edited:
These are inchoative verbs. As you've noticed, they can express both states and entrance into those states. There are hundreds if not thousands of them in English, far too many to list exhaustively. Your list is a good start, though.

These are inchoative verbs. As you've noticed, they can express both states and entrance into those states. There are hundreds if not thousands of them in English, far too many to list exhaustively. Your list is a good start, though.

Is there a way to recognize one when I see it?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Recognise one? Not visually or auditorily, no, because it's all about meaning. You seem to understand well enough as it is, given the examples you mentioned.

99bottles, context makes all the difference. Don't put too much meaning into one sentence all by itself. Let's look at your "mirror" sentence.

He stood and looked at his reflection in the mirror.

Maybe he was already standing there and looked at the mirror. Or maybe he stopped and looked at the mirror. Either is possible.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Recognise one? Not visually or auditorily, no, because it's all about meaning. You seem to understand well enough as it is, given the examples you mentioned.

I meant: Is there a way to tell which verbs are inchoative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back