strong [h] sound in some accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has a heavy Merseyside accent, from the area around Liverpool.

In the missing part of the text, she doesn't actually say anything. She messes up her words, produces some garbled sound, then corrects herself.

- It's constantly arguing. We'll be alright for [...] a bit and then we'll start arguing.
(The Tables Are Turned On a Cheating Woman | The Jeremy Kyle Show)

There's a rather strong [h] sound that I can hear. Whould you be so kind as to tell me what accent is this?

Thanks.

I think it's just a guttural sound of exasperation or an interjection like 'ugh'. I can't identify the accent, but they're both very difficult to understand. The host asks them to speak up several times throughout the interview.

So England has its own version of the Jerry Springer Show? Actually, I'm not sure if it's comforting that America isn't alone in suffering through this crap, or if it's just depressing that it seems to have spread.

That throaty sound (that sounds like someone clearing their throat) crops up frequently on the letters "h" and "k" in strong Liverpudlian accents.

(I'd rather watch Jerry Springer than Jeremy Kyle!)

So England has its own version of the Jerry Springer Show? Actually, I'm not sure if it's comforting that America isn't alone in suffering through this crap, or if it's just depressing that it seems to have spread.

I think the Jeremy Kyle Show is brilliant! How else would I be able to listen to so many authentic accents? :)

I tend to avoid shows in which the people on screen have an IQ that equals the number of teeth they still have.

I like very much both Jerries—Kyle and Springer. In fact, Jeremy Kyle has a US version of his show.

I don't see how somebody's IQ or social background makes their lives any less fascinating. Many of the guests on these shows are from the lowest social classes, typically from very deprived areas, from deprived economic backgrounds, and with weak educational bases. Nonetheless, their stories are genuine, and often very touching. I learn a lot from the Jeremy Kyle show.

And yes, suprunp, it's a great way to practise your listening skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back