Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is the word ''structure'' a correct option?

''The brain of the insects isn't complex enough. The structure of their bodies isn't either.''

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wrote those sentences. Rachel? In what context?

I wrote them. I won't forget to add the source any more. :)
Have you mentioned the insects before? ... not complex enough for what? Why is the structure of their bodies not complex enough for something.

Please tell us why you're writing about the brains and bodies of insects.

I read a text about them in a book. It has exercises and in one of the exercises students are asked to write a short passage about an interesting insect. I wasn't using the sentences from the text that's why I said there was no context. No, I haven't mentioned the insects before. Scients believe that quite possibly insects sleep during the day. Despite the fact that their brain and nervous system are not complex (or complex enough for them to require sleep).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's okay to say that bodies have structure, yes.

Write insect brains and their body structure.

Hello.

''The brain of the insects isn't complex enough. The structure of their bodies isn't either.''

I think "structure" describes something more physical than what I would use for insects' bodies, and even "bodies" is too physical. Try "composition of their form".

I read a text about them in a book. It has exercises and in one of the exercises students are asked to write a short passage about an interesting insect. I wasn't using the sentences from the text; that's why I said there was no context. No, I haven't mentioned the insects before. Scientists believe that, quite possibly, insects sleep during the day (no full stop here) despite the fact that their brain and nervous system are not complex (or complex enough for them to require sleep).

See my corrections above.

I think "structure" describes something more physical than what I would use for insects' bodies, and even "bodies" is too physical. Try "composition of their form".
Body structure is the natural way to describe the shape and composition of any animal's body including an insect's.

Hello.

If you're talking about insects in general, delete the before insects.

Body structure is the natural way to describe the shape and composition of any animal's body including an insect's.

That's what I was looking for. ''Their body structure isn't complex.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back