Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

If we want to ask somebody till what class did he or she study then can we say "How much did you study" or "have you studied"?

'Up to what grade have you studied?'
I think it should make sense.

Not a teacher.

Thank you, bhai.:-D
I think the question is a bit different from the one the OP was trying to make.
(tufguy used the word 'class'.)

The words "class", "grade", "standard", etcetera are used in different parts of the world to mean the same thing.

In the UK, you would be able to ask "At what age did you finish studying?" to lead to the same thing. If the answer was "16", I would know the person finished secondary school (having taken CSEs, O Levels or GCSEs). If the answer was "18", then I would know they finished college (A Levels at Sixth Form College or a vocational course at technical college). I they said "21" or "22", then I would be pretty confident that they completed university.

In the UK, we have only recently started using "4th grade", "11th grade" etc. It has been adopted from the American system I think. I still have to work it out mathematically when someone says that their child is in "X grade". I take the number of the grade and add it to 5 (the age at which a child starts school). So after doing the sum, I understand that a child who is in 8th grade is 13 (approximately). For me, that means they're in their second year of secondary school!

When I was at school, I was in "Fives/Sixes/Sevens/Eights" (first/primary school), then class "1C, 2E, 3L and 4S" (middle/junior school) and "Second year, third year, fourth year and fifth year" at secondary school. At sixth form college, I was in the Lower Sixth and then Upper Sixth.

In the UK, do students ever get pushed ahead by skipping a certain grade/class/year? In the US this is called double promotion, e.g. moving directly from 4th grade to 6th grade. This can complicate judging level by age.

Very, very occasionally, a child can skip a year but it's really not common. There are genius children who sometimes take, for example, the exams for 16-year-olds when they are only 10 years old. Such a child would probably then be home-schooled because schools here aren't really geared up for having a child in a class who is 2 or 3 years older than his/her classmates.

Thanks.

I think that would be two or three years younger than his/her classmates. And yes, that creates socialization issues.

Oops! :oops: Yes, of course, younger than the rest of the class.

Edited to fix duplicate error!

Last edited:
You did it again!

Aarrrrggggghhhhhh.

In my defence, I drank a lot of beer last night and was then up till 3am watching a fantastic electrical storm. I have now edited the second example of my error. Must be time for a nap.

Not a problem. Beer is good. Sleep is a good antidote. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back