Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,
I noticed that sometimes, the subject of some sentences that are not enonciated in imperative misses.
I wonder why it does, and when it is acceptable to omit the subject.

Examples :

Just drank some iced tea.
Feeling good.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I noticed that sometimes, the subject of some sentences that are not [STRIKE]enonciated[/STRIKE] in the imperative [STRIKE]misses[/STRIKE] is missing.
I wonder why [STRIKE]it does[/STRIKE], and when it is acceptable to omit the subject.

Examples :

Just drank some iced tea.
Feeling good.
You can omit first-person singular subject pronouns in casual speech when the context makes clear who the subject is.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll add that this is only the case in writing. We don't tend to do it when we're talking.

It is especially common in genres such as text messages and social media posts.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can similarly omit the second-person subject pronoun in interrogative sentences in casual writing. Americans often do it in speech, too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll add that this is only the case in writing. We don't tend to do it when we're talking.

It is especially common in genres such as text messages and social media posts.

I would say it's equally common in spoken and written BrE, in casual contexts. If someone asked me how I was or what I was up to (in speech), I'd be quite likely to answer "Just finished tennis. Really need to get some lunch!"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say it's equally common in spoken and written BrE, in casual contexts. If someone asked me how I was or what I was up to (in speech), I'd be quite likely to answer "Just finished tennis. Really need to get some lunch!"

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "only the case in writing". I really don't want to tell people what they say but I'm pretty sure it's not very common in speech, relatively speaking. It's certainly far from being equally common.

I'll adjust my comment to say that it is a typical feature of casual written English (where it isn't typical of spoken English). If pushed, I'd guess that it is one of the rich features that mark spoken from written modes fairly reliably, precisely because it is so common in certain genres of written discourse. Song lyrics is another such genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.