Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This is my answer to the question "Would you shoot down an animal in the name of sport?" The second statement is an improved one. But can't I use "suffering"?

"I cannot watch how animals or some living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt an animal."

"I cannot watch animals or any living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt them."

Last edited:
In that context, "suffer" would refer to your general feeling about that condition. "Suffering" would suggest your reaction during a specific event(s) or type(s).

Re: Suffer or suffering / strike "how"

Hello.

This is my answer to the question "Would you shoot [STRIKE]down[/STRIKE] an animal in the name of sport?" The second statement is an improved one. But can't I use "suffering"?

"I cannot watch [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] animals or some living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt an animal."

"I cannot watch animals or any living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt them."

Try:

I can't watch animals suffer.

Or:

I can't watch any living thing suffer.

Last edited:
I like hamburgers. (If I thought about the cow suffering I probably wouldn't be able to eat them.)

Try?:

I can't watch animals suffer.

Or:

I can't watch any living thing suffer.

Is this part wrong or is it unnecessary? "Let alone..."

Is this part wrong or is it unnecessary? "Let alone..."
It's okay. I'd write "let alone kill or hurt one." We already know you're talking about animals.

It's okay. I'd write "let alone kill or hurt one." We already know you're talking about animals.

I wouldn't use the first sentence because it doesn't seem to be correct. Maybe just unnatural, especially because of "how". Maybe I am wrong..

1. "I cannot watch how animals or some living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt an animal."

Can I use any "living thing" instead of "things"?
2. "I cannot watch animals or any living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt one."

I wouldn't use the first sentence because it doesn't seem to be correct. Maybe just unnatural, especially because of "how". Maybe I am wrong..

1. "I cannot watch [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] animals or some living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt an animal."

Yes.

2. "I cannot watch animals or any living things suffer, let alone kill or hurt one."

I cannot understand why you want to contrast animals with living things. (When you talk about living things you can only be talking about animals.)

I cannot understand why you want to contrast animals with living things. (When you talk about living things you can only be talking about animals.)

Yes, I don't need to mention "living things" meaning "animals" twice. But if I understand correctly, you said I could use "living thing" instead of "things" after "some" in the firstrst sentence as in:

1. "I cannot watch animals or some living thing suffer, let alone kill or hurt an animal."
But in the second sentence can I also use "thing"?
2. "I cannot watch animals or any living thing suffer, let alone kill or hurt one." Are both "thing" or "things" correct in both sentences?

I just checked, and we weren't talking about some. (it wouldn't make sense anyway. If you say you can't watch some animals suffer you might be saying you can watch other animals suffer.)

I could be wrong in assuming that if you don't want to watch animals suffer that you wouldn't kill them. (There's an exception to that, but I don't think it applies here.)

You have outlasted me. You win!

I just checked, and we weren't talking about some. (it wouldn't make sense anyway. If you say you can't watch some animals suffer you might be saying you can watch other animals suffer.)

I could be wrong in assuming that if you don't want to watch animals suffer that you wouldn't kill them. (There's an exception to that, but I don't think it applies here.)

You have outlasted me. You win!

I never watch them suffer, because it kills me. I never kill or eat them.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back