Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what the British term for 'schoolyard' is? Is 'playground' used for schools too?

Thanks.

Hi,
I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what the British term for 'schoolyard' is? Is 'playground' used for schools too?

Thanks.
Yes. I've never met 'schoolyard' (in a Br E context), though my first Head Teacher (a Scot, I think, or maybe just Northern) called it 'the yard'. But 'playground' is fine (in schools that have them).

b

Yes. I've never met 'schoolyard' (in a Br E context), though my first Head Teacher (a Scot, I think, or maybe just Northern) called it 'the yard'. But 'playground' is fine (in schools that have them).

b

Many thanks! Would we still call it 'playground' when it's just an area covered with concrete or any other hard material? (I mean without structures for playing)

Ta!

Would we still call it 'playground' when it's just an area covered with concrete or any other hard material? (I mean without structures for playing)
Yes

...ish. At my primary school we had a playground and a grassy area where we played occasionally. It was called 'the field'. And at my secondary school we had a playground and an area like a clay court. It was called 'the redgra'.

Note that this is entirely anecdotal and coincidental. Those words aren't in general use, and I've never heard the word 'redgra' in any other context. But it's worth remembering that some schools have a playground and something else (which'll have a local name). At my elder sister's convent, one of the rules was 'No running in the cloisters' - so I doubt whether much playing happened there. ;-)

b

'The cloisters' was the term used in the local girls school for what we boys called 'the bogs' - the lavatories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back