Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm confused about the function of the word "NOT" in tag questions. Assume it is cold outside. If is say "It's cold outside, isn't it?" the correct answer is "Yes".

However, I seem to be stating that it is cold outside and then asking "Is it NOT cold outside". If I ask "Is it NOT cold outside, I am asking if it is warm outside. So by expansion, it seems like the statement resolves to "It's cold outside, is it warm outside?" To which the answer should be "No".

My question is: How does the word NOT function in the contraction "Isn't it?" What is it negating?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My question is: How does the word "not" function in the contraction "Isn't it?" What is it negating?
It's not negating anything. Its function is as a confirmatory device. Think of "Isn't it?" as "Don't you think so?"

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It makes the statement open for a reply, inviting the other person to engage in a longer conversation.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

1. I have found a fascinating explanation from David, the (sole?) moderator at the grammar forum "Grammar Exchange."

a. He feels that one can analyze the tag question as: "It is cold outside, is it not [cold outside]?"

This computer illiterate senior citizen cannot link. Sorry! Just go to Google and type in these words: The Grammar Exchange. "It's cold outside."

Edit (from mod) - Here's the relevant link: https://thegrammarexchange.infopop.cc/topics

P.S. Many thanks to the mod for the link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.