Taking care of the objects and art pieces...(52 words)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Someone asked me “Do you agree that some tourist attractions like national museums or galleries should be free to visit?”

I answered something like “Definitely not, taking care of the objects and art pieces usually requires a great effort of the proctors, not to mention the electricity and water bills which cost them a large sum of money. Staff members of those attractions should also be paid is another reason that these places should charge visitors.”

I struck out the “hmm, uh, yeah” in my expressions. I think the answer is far from idiomatic. The intended meaning is “I think visitors should pay to visit those places because proctors who take care of the valuable objects and art pieces usually spend a great of efforts, not to mention that the daily maintenance like electricity bills and water bills which usually cost the museum a large sum of money. Those people who work in the attractions are not paid to do the job either”.

Please help me with an idiomatic version.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
By "objects" and "proctors", I think you mean "artifacts" and "curators".

What do you mean by "require a great effort"? What has that got to do with whether the attractions should be free to visit?

There is a run-on sentence and two different points shouldn't be linked in the same sentence.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
By "objects" and "proctors", I think you mean "artifacts" and "curators".
Yes.
What do you mean by "require a great effort"? What has that got to do with whether the attractions should be free to visit?
Staffers working in the museums usually need to spend a lot of time and energy to keep an eye on those valuable objects. This requires a great efforts of them.
There is run-on sentence and two different points shouldn't be linked in the same sentence.
I wish I knew what that is. As you can see from my writing, it's very poor. That's why I seek help from professional teachers here.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
When someone says that museums should have free entry, they are not suggesting that museums should not have other sources of finance! They usually mean that museums should be funded publicly (by the government).

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When someone says that museums should have free entry, they are not suggesting that museums should not have other sources of finance! They usually mean that museums should be funded publicly (by the government).
Yes, I know that. I think taxpayers (people who want to visit) should pay for the entry because of the reasons I listed in the OP.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The taxpayers are the ones paying -- especially if the museum doesn't change visitors.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
OK, so just say that museums should not be funded by the government.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When there was a charge to enter the museums in London, I never went. Once they all became free, I went. I spent money there on other things (the cafe, the shop, donation buckets). It's a great way to get people in.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When there was a charge to enter the museums in London, I never went. Once they all became free, I went. I spent money there on other things (the cafe, the shop, donation buckets). It's a great way to get people in.
Could I possibly also have your corrections of my italic sentences in the OP?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I understand the museums and art galleries in London are free to visit. I think they are heavily funded by the government. Not many places can afford to provide such facilities without charge. Some places charge foreign visitors higher fees than the locals, who contribute to taxes, which I think is a fair practice. The revenue from the other sources like the retail outlets are hardly adequate to cover the costs of maintaining the facilities.

Last edited: