"Taking a desicion" or "making a decision"

Gracias

You make decisions.

Cual de las siguientes expresiones es correcta:

"Taking a desicion" or "making a decision"

Gracias

0) Hello cristigallego! Welcome board!

1) Don't say:"Cual de las siguientes expresiones es correcta"
say:"Which of the following expressions is correct?

2) Both of them are correct.

3) Webster and Oxford dictionaries say that "taking a decision" is British English.

4) Many people say:"making a decision".

5) We always say:"decision-making process"

6) I read that in spanish language people "take a decision". They don't "make a decision". Perhaps this was the reason you were confused about it.

7) I recommend you to say:"making a decision".

8) Don't say:"... , anyway I am not going to be severe about it!

Last edited:
I am not a teacher.

Americans make decisions, Brits take them.

Bienvenido, cristigallego! (Las dos son correctas; no te preocupes.)

They're both correct - I would just pay attention to which is being used more often wherever you are. Some Americans use "take", some Brits use "make" - and in fact, people do also say "decision-taking"!

So as I said, don't worry about this one! ;-)

mayita, which region do you live in that you have heard Americans "taking" decisions?

That's something I've never heard in my life.

I too would generally say make a decision, and would be more likely to use take for a committee or body.

mayita, which region do you live in that you have heard Americans "taking" decisions?

That's something I've never heard in my life.
I'm from the Mountain West, but I can tell you that people around here don't say "taking"! :lol:

To be honest, I've traveled around so much that I can't be specific about where or when. However, I know I was surprised to hear Brits and Kiwis and Aussies using "take" the first time I traveled abroad; and I also remember that once my awareness was raised, I discovered that it was said in America sometimes, too. (Listen carefully - you'll probably catch someone sometime!)

My guess that the Americans who use "take" have probably acquired it by exposure to people from other countries, be they English-speakers, Spanish-speakers, or something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back