Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Good evening. My name is Georgia I'm an English teacher in Brazil and I want to have a tattoo done. But I'm so used to the words that I don't know if the sentence I want to have tattooed is proper/correct in English or if I'm so used to the words that I'm just putting the portuguese words in English. I'd really appreciate your help. The sentence would be:
You are what you can bear. Does it make sense? Is it right? Do you have options for me?
Thank you very much.
Georgia.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello, Georgia.

Before we encourage you to permanently mark your skin, perhaps you could explain in depth what the idea means to you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good evening. My name is Georgia. I'm an English teacher in Brazil, and I want to have a tattoo done. But I'm so used to the words that I don't know if the sentence I want to have tattooed is [STRIKE]proper/[/STRIKE]correct in English or if I'm so used to the words that I'm just putting the Portuguese words in English. I'd really appreciate your help. The sentence would be:

You are what you can bear
. Does it make sense? Is it right? Do you have options for me?

Thank you very much.

Georgia.
It's grammatical, but why do you want a Portuguese expression in English?

Why not a Portuguese expression in Portuguese or an English expression in English?

Or are you looking for an English expression that has a similar meaning?

Yes, tell us more about your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.