Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A friend of mine came back from the UK and she stayed there for one year. I've never been abroad so I'm curious things about the UK and her days there.

I usually say "Tell me your life in the ____." but I think it's a bit rude and straightforward. Are there any good questions to ask her for my purpose?

Morgan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Ukraine
NOT A TEACHER and moreover NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER

But I think this "very polite manner" is a bit excessive when talking to friends. I'd say: "I can't wait for you to tell me about your life there."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A friend of mine came back from the UK [STRIKE]and she stayed[/STRIKE] after living there for one year. I've never been abroad so I'm curious [STRIKE]things[/STRIKE] about the UK and her [STRIKE]days[/STRIKE] time there.

I usually say "Tell me about your life in the ____" but I think it's a bit rude. [STRIKE]and straightforward.[/STRIKE] Are there any good questions to ask her for my purpose?

Please note my corrections above.

I'd expect you to say something like "Welcome back! It's great to see you. How about we go for a coffee tomorrow and you can tell me all about your time in the UK? I'd love to hear about it."

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my corrections above.

I'd expect you to say something like "Welcome back! It's great to see you. How about we go for a coffee tomorrow and you can tell me all about your time in the UK? I'd love to hear about it."

How about in this context:

She came back from the UK and she went to my English club and I saw her. I think then I can say "I can't wait for you to tell me about your life in the UK".

I changed something in that sentence. Is it natural?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How was life in the UK?
Tell me about life in the UK.