Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yesterday, we went to the eat-as-much-as-you-like restaurant. I didn't look at the menu, and I ordered some food and drinks. When the bill came, the prices were much higher than I'd thought/I thought they'd be.

Which of the options is correct in the above sentence? If both are correct, then do you have a preference? Thanks in advance.

Posted and answered on at least one other forum.

In future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

When the bill came, the prices were much higher than I thought they'd be.

The simple past "I thought" kind of makes "they'd be" sound illogical because "they'd be" refers to the future, i.e. at the time the bill came, I thought (then) that some time from then the prices would be...

When the bill came, the prices were much higher than I'd thought they'd be.

I started eating and I thought that the prices would be low when I had to pay after the meal, but, when the bill came, it turned out that they were high.

Does the above reasoning make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Did you even bother to read my post above?

You don't seem to be going about getting a representative sample very successfully.

Back