Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
In sentences like "That's right!" / "That's true!" / "That's correct!", are the three interchangeable? I know that there is a subtle difference, so which one (or ones) would be acceptable or more natural in the following context (sentences taken from an exercise for EFL learners on their second year, based on a school book text about a blog):

Sarah: In Martha’s school canteen there wasn't much food and the kids never got 'seconds'.
Mike: That’s __________ ! She even started a blog about it! Her blog's name was NeverSeconds. [The aim of this exercise was to fill in with a synonym of "right".]

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"That's right!" and "That's correct!" are highly likely to be interchangeable in that they're both used to perform the same function. The difference is only in register. However, "That's true!" is quite different, and so unlikely to be interchangeable.

Is this test your own creation? What exactly are you trying to test here? I don't think this test question works properly. What do you mean by "a synonym of 'right'"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please provide the source and author of the exercise. (I forgot to ask you for that information in your other thread. Please add the information to your other thread too.)