Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it an abbey named Grange or a grange named Abbey?

The Abbey Grange is the name of a country manor in a Sherlock Holmes short story. What is confusing me is that I found the majority of Chinese translations are using 格兰其庄园(an abbey named Grange), but I also found some Japanese translations are using 僧坊荘園(the monastery grange) or アベ荘園(a grange named Abbey), and yet the French translations are mainly le manoir de l'abbaye (the manor of the abbey).

I'm assuming that it's a grange with perhaps an abbey nearby, hence the name, but I'm not so sure.

And the same goes for Dingle Dell. We are trying to do some translation exercises and again I’m not sure whether it's a dingle or a dell, or is it a combination of both? This just feels impossible to find a perfect translation.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is neither. As you said yourself, it is the name of a country manor. A country manor is a very large home in the countryside.

Also, by the way, Dingle Dell would be a dell which is called Dingle Dell to distinguish it from other dells. And dell is archaic. Nobody uses it nowadays except in place names.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think it's a good idea to try to translate names literally like that.
As a footnote, Dithiothreitol, it would be reasonable to conjecture that there was an abbey nearby when the first part of the house was built. But remember that most of the British abbeys were destroyed during the reign of Henry VIII. The putative abbey was probably no more than a ruin at the time Conan Doyle was writing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.