[Grammar] "The analysis assumes that" or "The analysis assumed that" for factual statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrkkass

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"The analysis assumes that" or "The analysis assumed that" for factual statement

Hi teachers,

I know that we should use the present tense when talking about facts. However, in some instances I cannot decide which tense to use.

For example,

"The analysis assumes that a and b are independent of y."
"The analysis assumed that a and b are (were?) independent of y."

It is a fact that the analysis makes that assumption, yet the analysis was done in an earlier chapter.

"I am from University X."
"I was from University X."

It is a fact that I studied in University X and time won't change this fact, but it was also a couple of years ago.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "The analysis assumes that" or "The analysis assumed that" for factual statement

Hi teachers,

I know that we should use the present tense when talking about facts. However, in some instances I cannot decide which tense to use.

For example,

"The analysis assumes that a and b are independent of y."
"The analysis assumed that a and b are (were?) independent of y."

If they're independent of y now, use present tense. If they were then but aren't or might not be now, use past tense.

It is a fact that the analysis makes that assumption, yet the analysis was done in an earlier chapter.

"I am from University X."
"I was from University X."

A
again, if you're from the school now, use the present. If not, use the past.

But these both are unlikely things to say. What do you mean when you say you're from the school?

It is a fact that I studied in University X and time won't change this fact, but it was also a couple of years ago.

Oh! You mean you are or were a student there! So if you go there now, say, "I went to X University" or "I went to the University of X."

If not, say, "I went to X University" or "I went to the University of X."

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.
You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "The analysis assumes that" or "The analysis assumed that" for factual statement

Say:

I'm from New York.

And:

I went to Princeton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.