The ancient city is the heart and soul of the country.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can I say a place is "the heart and soul" of a country/city/neighborhood? Are these correct and natural?

1. The ancient city is the heart and soul of the country. It weaves a tapestry of heritage and tradition that is intertwined with the country's identity.
2. The Grand Bazaar is the heart and soul of the city. It's always bustling with activity and has a vibrant energy.
3. The park is the heart and soul of our neighborhood. Every time I go there I see lots of people there trying to relax and enjoy themselves.
4. The street is the heart and soul of the city. It's bursting with a lively blend of theaters, cafes, and artistic havens. If you want to have your finger on the pulse of culture in this city, you should immerse yourself in the vibrant life of this street.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Can I say a place is "the heart and soul" of a country/city/neighborhood?
Yes.

Are these correct and natural?
Example 1 - The first sentence is okay. I'm not sure what the second means.
Example 2 - Okay.
Example 3 - Okay as far as wording goes. But a place doesn't become the heart and soul of a neighbourhood just because people go there to relax.
Example 4 - The first two sentences are all right. In the third, I think you need "keep" rather than "have".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I recommend against "trying" to relax or "trying" to enjoy yourself. Instead, simply say those people were there to relax and enjoy themselves.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these okay now?

3. The park is the heart and soul of our neighborhood. Every time I go there I see lots of people there relaxing and enjoying themselves.
4. The street is the heart and soul of the city. It's bursting with a lively blend of theaters, cafes, and artistic havens. If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of culture in this city, you should immerse yourself in the vibrant life of this street.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you've got it.
👍