"The bar chart illustrates five industries' percentage contribution to Brazil's economy in 2009 and 2019 with projections..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
The bar chart illustrates five industries' percentage contribution to Brazil's economy in 2009 and 2019 with projections to 2029.

Overall, finance had and will have the greatest share of the economy. Although the figures for finance, food processing, and oil, gas, and coal rose between 2009 and 2019, only the figure for finance is expected to go up in the future.

Regarding finance, oil, coal, and gas, and food processing, in 2009, finance's share of Brazil's economy was just over 30%, which was higher than oil, coal, and gas' (above 25%) and much greater than food processing's (approximately 10%).All these figures had increased by 2019, with finance's, oil and gas' and food processing's shares climbing considerably to over 35%, 30%, and 20% respectively. However, while finance's is expected to rise to a peak of above 40% in 2029, food processing's and oil and gas' are projected to fall back to their 2009 figures.

Tourism's share and manufacturing's, by contrast, experienced a downward trend, declining from roughly 26% in 2009 to around 22% in 2019 for former and from about 22% to just above 15% for the latter. Lastly, manufacturing's will reduce markedly to a low of 5%, but tourism's will remain constant.

1) Was my omission grammatical? Instead of writing "tourism's share" or "the tourist industry's share" all the time, I omitted the noun after the possessives once the context had been established. Is it okay and acceptable to do that?

2) In this context, can I say "manufacturing's shares" instead of "the manufacturing industry's shares"?

Attachments

• IMG-20221017-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20221017-WA0012.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Finance and what else?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Finance and what else?
I'm guessing you are talking about the 2nd paragraph. The financial industry had the highest share of Brazil's economy between 2009 and 2019, and it is predicted that this will also be the case in 2029, so I wrote "finance (or the finance industry) had and will have the greatest share of...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I misread the first sentence. Sorry.
😐

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Tourism and manufacturing experienced downward trends

1. Nothing jumped out me, so it's probably good.
2. Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.