Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

I want to paraphrase the following sentence. The only difference between sentence one and two is that I replace the preposition "in" with "of" while sentence three, I write the prepositional phrase first "in five categories of employment status" then, the verb "enjoyed" comes afterward.
Which sentence is grammatically correct?

1-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females enjoyed in five categories of employment status between 1998 and 1999.

2-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females enjoyed of five categories of employment status enjoyed between 1998 and 1999.

3-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females in five categories of employment status enjoyed between 1998 and 1999.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would go for No. 3.

1 and 2 are awkward with the "five categories of employed" at the back, separated from "males and females". The preposition "in" is preferred to "of".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I agree. The third is the best of the lot.

Is the first sentence the original, and if so, where did you find it?

What exactly does "categories of employment status" mean? Different levels in a hierarchy--manager, executive, and so on? Or different fields of work--store clerks, taxi drivers, doctors?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I agree. The third is the best of the lot.

Is the first sentence the original, and if so, where did you find it?

What exactly does "categories of employment status" mean? Different levels in a hierarchy--manager, executive, and so on? Or different fields of work--store clerks, taxi drivers, doctors?

No, I paraphrased the original. Categories of employment status are employed full time, employed part time, unemployed,and retired.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's four.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, I paraphrased the original. The categories of employment status are employed full-time, employed part-time, unemployed, space here and retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.