The Beatles had conquered England. America was next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi all,
In one of my old threads, I learned that there were different views over the area Britain covers (England and Wales or England, Wales and Scotland). That reminded me of a question I was going to ask here but I haven't probably asked yet.
I have seen a documented film entitled "The Compleat
Beatles". In a scene of the movie the narrator said, "...The Beatles had conquered England. America was next..." (1:14 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_NZ0QDJXQ&t=32s) Since the Beatles had already been popular not only in England but also in the other parts of the UK before their first visit to the States, it seemed that the term England was used to represent the whole United Kingdom. Is this sometimes the case, or is the narrator referring only to England?
OP

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,
In one of my old threads, I learned that there were different views over the area Britain covers (England and Wales or England, Wales and Scotland). That reminded me of a question I was going to ask here but I haven't probably asked yet.
I have seen a documentary film entitled "The Complete Beatles". In a scene of the movie the narrator said, "...The Beatles had conquered England. America was next..."
(1:14 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_NZ0QDJXQ&t=32s) Since the Beatles had already been popular not only in England but also in the other parts of the UK before their first visit to the States, it seemed that the term England was used to represent the whole United Kingdom. Is this sometimes the case, or is the narrator referring only to England?
OP

They had certainly conquered England, where they were based. They had probably conquered more of the UK, as well. But whether they had or hadn't, it would still be true that they had conquered England. And it's true that the next nation they set out to conquer was the US, which mattered more to them than making a splash, say, in Glasgow.

I suspect you're right, though, that the word England was being used somewhat loosely.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since the Beatles had already been popular not only in England but also in the other parts of the UK before their first visit to the States, it seemed that the term England was used to represent the whole United Kingdom. Is this sometimes the case, or is the narrator referring only to England?
It's a British production, therefore the narrator could only have been referring to England. I assume they hadn't toured in the other constituent countries of the United Kingdom.

British people know their basic national geography.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
British people know their basic national geography.

Not necessarily—it can't be denied that many of my fellow Englishmen casually say England when they mean the UK. infuriating the citizens of the other nations in the union.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hmm. It's certainly true that American people are much more likely to use the word 'England' to refer to Britain as a whole. I suspect that may be the case here too.

The Compleat Beatles was written by a writer called David Silver, who I think may be American (I can't find out for sure).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not necessarily—it can't be denied that many of my fellow Englishmen casually say England when they mean the UK. infuriating the citizens of the other nations in the union.

I can't say that's untrue but I'd say it would be very unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.