The belly-dancer had a bare stomach except for the pearl in her navel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you help me understand why it is "a bare stomach"? The stomach is unique for this particular belly-dancer.

1651496506412.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you asking what bare means in this context? It means 'unadorned'. She's not wearing anything except the pearl.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No. What troubles me is the indefinite article in the phrase "a bare stomach". The stomach is unique in this context. Why not the definite article?
And by the way, "the pearl" troubles me as well. The reader has not heard of that pearl so far, so, I would say "a pearl".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't understand your question yet. In what way do you think the stomach is 'unique'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. What troubles me is the indefinite article in the phrase "a bare stomach". The stomach is unique in this context. Why not the definite article?
We all have individual parts of the body, I, for example, have a nose, a mouth, a chin, etc. Such individual parts are simply single examples of a general category.
And by the way, "the pearl" troubles me as well. The reader has not heard of that pearl so far, so, I would say "a pearl".
You could say 'a pearl'. The writer of your sentence has chosen to present it as the particular pearl that the belly-dance has in her navel.

Status
Not open for further replies.