Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the phrase "the edgefold of Flowerbomb perfume in a page of Vanity Fair" grammatical?

I used the first of here to mean "about": the edgefold about Flowerbomb perfume of a page of Vanity Fair" (or "the edgefold of a page of Vanity Fair about Flowerbomb perfume"). I am not sure I've used it correctly and whether it is acceptable to you native speakers.

===============
Below is what is hidden inside the edgefold of Flowerbomb perfume in a page of Vanity Fair magazine the July of this year.

Discover flowerbomb dew, the new Victor&Rolf frangrance with a pure and transparent sensuality of pure flowers and a petaly feminine heart.
A hydroponic rose is infused with transparent dew for a scent that melts on your skin.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is an 'edgefold'?

It refers an edge that is folded. "During edge folding, excess decor is wrapped around the edges of the part and glued to the back."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Edgefold" must refer to the folded perfumed sheets sometimes included in magazines. Such magazines never enter my house.

GoodTaste, considering this information, can you see that there's a very simple explanation for the sentence using "of"? Always look for the simplest explanation.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
GoodTaste, considering this information, can you see that there's a very simple explanation for the sentence using "of"? Always look for the simplest explanation.

To the contrary, it is very complicated if only you take a look into the stunning pile of definitions of "of" in a sufficiently large dictionary. I can pretend that it is simple and think it means "in respect of". But such pretending doesn't help. I don't think the task of lexicography is easy. It is hard to convincingly distinguish one nuance from another.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't seem to understand that it's a piece of cardboard in the magazine which contains some of the actual perfume. You can rip it out of the magazine and smell the scent.

It's an edgefold (apparently the term for the cardboard) of the perfume. It's not about the perfume. You wouldn't say "a bottle about perfume."

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You don't seem to understand that it's a piece of cardboard in the magazine which contains some of the actual perfume. You can rip it our of the magazine and smell the scent.

I do have enjoyed those pleasant smells a lot after ripping open the edgefolds.Those perfumes are expensive, you know. But you do not need to rip them out of the mags. The edges are extended and folded with real perfumes hiding inside.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] have enjoyed those pleasant smells a lot after ripping open the edgefolds. space after a full stop Those perfumes are expensive, you know.

Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.