Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This sentence is from Helen Casey's "Oxford Discover Grammar". "The biggest container ship is named the Emma Maersk. It's too big for the old ports and canals."

Why is it "it" and not "she" and why do they use the definite article before its name and before "old ports" and "canals"?IMG_20210709_195342.jpg

Some people refer to ships as she, others as it.

Names of ships are frequently used with the definite article unless they are preceded by some other designation:

The Queen Mary, The Ark Royal, HMS Ark Royal.

Why is it "it" and not "she" and why do they use the definite article before its name and before "old ports" and "canals"?
The definite article makes me think this is excerpted from a longer passage that places the discussion in an area that has a lot of old ports and canals. We're referring to those ports and canals specifically.

Some people refer to ships as she, others as it.

Names of ships are frequently used with the definite article unless they are preceded by some other designation:

The Queen Mary, The Ark Royal, HMS Ark Royal.

Was Titanic an exception?

I said 'frequently', not 'always'.

I said 'frequently', not 'always'.

But if they are preceeded by some other designation the definite article is never used, is it?

It is. I have seen reference to the HMS Ark Royal. I'd never say it, but it is used.

. . . why do they use the definite article . . . before "old ports" and "canals"?
It specifies which ports and canals: THE old ones.

As you suspect, it would also make sense without "the."

Or:

As you suspect, it would also make sense without THE "the."

I've certainly seen/heard people say "the Titanic".

The convention of referring to ships as female is a maritime one. Someone who isn't a sailor might not necessarily know of or follow that convention.tyop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back