The experiment (having been) conducted / (having been) kept in a safe for centuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
a. The experiment having been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful. (from my teacher's handout)
b. The experiment conducted at the University of Chicago was successful.

Are they both correct? What are the differences between them?

c. The biggest diamond on the world, having been kept in a safe for centuries, was stolen last week. (from my teacher's handout)
d. The biggest diamond on the world, kept in a safe for centuries, was stolen last week.
Are they both correct? What are the differences between them? I think "on the world" is wrong, and it should be changed to "IN the world", right?

Thanks!

a. The experiment having been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful. (from my teacher's handout)
b. The experiment conducted at the University of Chicago was successful.

The first one is problematic. The second is unquestionably grammatical.

In the first sentence (a) the phrase in red should be bracketed by commas. It also seems to belong to a different sentence.

Why is sentence a problematic?

How about this?
"The experiment *that had* been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful."
And it becomes sentence a:
"The experiment *having* been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful."

c. The biggest diamond on the world, having been kept in a safe for centuries, was stolen last week. (from my teacher's handout)
d. The biggest diamond on the world, kept in a safe for centuries, was stolen last week.
Are they both correct? What are the differences between them? I think "on the world" is wrong, and it should be changed to "IN the world", right?

Good catch! Other than the IN/ON thing, I think they are both grammatically correct.

Is this sentence correct? - "The experiment *that had* been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful."

Why is sentence a problematic?

How about this?
"The experiment *that had* been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful."
And it becomes sentence a:
"The experiment *having* been conducted at the University of Chicago was successful."

I don't see any real need for the past perfect here. It was successful when it was conducted and I don't see the need to locate the experiment further in the past than the success. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is completely wrong- just not very natural. However, the rewrite doesn't work for me- it is placing too much emphasis on what I see as an unnecessary, possibly dubious, sequence of events. Other people may see things differently.

Did we miss anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back