The kids went to feed the swans on the river.

Shie0605

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The kids went to feed the swans on the river.

I found the sentence in a dictionary.

Is "on the river" used as an adjective to modify "the swans" or an adverb to modify "feed the swans"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Shie0605, we need to know more about this dictionary you keep quoting sentences from (and a series of Chinese characters followed by some numbers is no use to us).

Why do you need to know whether certain phrases are used adverbially or adjectivally and what they modify?

Please don't post any more threads like this until you've told us who is making you do this (I can't believe you're doing it for pleasure).

Shie0605

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The dictionary is a English-Chinese electronic dictionary.

I want to know that these sentences belong to "S + Vi", "S +Vi + SC", "S + Vt + O", "S + Vt + O + OC", or "S + Vt + IO + DO".
No one makes me do this. I only want to know it in detail.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The dictionary is a English-Chinese electronic dictionary.
Do you mean something like this?

Elec dic.gif
(Source: Website)

I want to know that these sentences belong to "S + Vi", "S +Vi + SC", "S + Vt + O", "S + Vt + O + OC", or "S + Vt + IO + DO".
I don't understand what you mean by "I want to know that these sentences belong to ...". Do you mean "I want to know if the sentence in post #1 follows one of these grammatical structures"?
No one makes is making me do this. I only want to know about it in detail.
Why? I think you need to concentrate on your basic English skills before you worry about analysing sentences in detail.