the Las Vegas monorail that entered operation in 2004 has had to defer the dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucecx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Hi, I have a question. Do you think the word enter in the following two sentences is wrong?

1. The Las Vegas monorail that entered operation in 2004 has had to defer the dream of connecting the airport, the Strip and downtown.
from https://ludwig.guru/s/entered+operation

2. The 747 entered service on January 22, 1970, on Pan Am's New York–London route.
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Sentence 2 sounds all right.

Sentence 1: Some people might use it. I'd prefer "commenced operations".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I have a question. Do you think the word "enter" in the following two sentences is wrong?

1. The Las Vegas monorail that entered operation in 2004 has had to defer the dream of connecting the airport, the Strip and downtown.
2. The 747 entered service on January 22, 1970, on Pan Am's New York–London route.

Thank you! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find useful.
Note my corrections and improvements to the layout above.

"Entered service" is the standard term used when talking about when a particular make or model of transport started to be used commercially.
I find "entered operation" unnatural. I'd expect "opened" or "started operating".

Who wrote those two sentences?

brucecx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK

"Entered service" is the standard term used when talking about when a particular make or model of transport started to be used commercially.
I find "entered operation" unnatural. I'd expect "opened" or "started operating".

the first sentence is from online, and the second is from Wikipedia.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found the first sentence is from online, and the second is from Wikipedia.
Note that "online" and "from Wikipedia" wouldn't normally be enough information as a source. However, I have just noticed that you've edited post #1 and added the links to each one. As a rule, we ask that you don't edit posts after they've received a response as it can make some of the responses look nonsensical. We'll leave this one in place but now you know for the future.

brucecx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Note that "online" and "from Wikipedia" wouldn't normally be enough information as a source. However, I have just noticed that you've edited post #1 and added the links to each one. As a rule, we ask that you don't edit posts after they've received a response as it can make some of the responses look nonsensical. We'll leave this one in place but now you know for the future.
Thank you, actually based on my research, the first sentence is from this article on the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/feb/09/las-vegas-strip-learning-temple-excess I guess the author just made this tiny mistake when he was writing the article.

brucecx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK

by the way, I have a follow-up question. Can we use "enter service" for a railway line instead of makes or models? like, the China-Laos railway recently entered service

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. The Monorail was a completely new railway, not just a piece of moving stock.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, I have a follow-up question. Can we use "enter service" for a railway line instead of makes or models? Like, the China-Laos railway recently entered service.
Please note that we always capitalize the word that begins a sentence. Also, end a sentence with a period (full stop), question mark or exclamation mark.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
by the way, I have a follow-up question. Can we use "enter service" for a railway line instead of makes or models? like, the China-Laos railway recently entered service
I'd say "commenced/started operation(s)". A railway is a system rather than a thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.