The longer depression is untreated/ remains untreated /stays untreated/is left untreated ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello there are some verbs like 'untreated', 'unnoticed' with which 'left', 'stay', 'go' and other verbs are often used. Sometimes we also see 'be' verbs being used. I don't know the rule. I have provided some examples. Could you please explain?

1- The longer depression is untreated/ remains untreated /stays untreated/is left untreated, the more there is a chance of its being dangerous.
2- If cancer is untreated/remains untreated, one could die.
3- Someone sprinkled ink on the bedsheet, It went unnoticed/was unnoticed/remained until my mom came from the office.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello there are some verbs like 'untreated', 'unnoticed'

First of all, they are not verbs. They are adjectives.

with which 'left', 'stay', 'go' and other verbs are often used. Sometimes we also see 'be' verbs being used. I don't know the rule.

Yes, those are verbs. They're special in that they can function as linking verbs, which means that unlike most other verbs they can be followed by a complement in the form of an adjective phrase.

The longer depression is untreated
The longer depression remains untreated

The above clauses are all equally grammatical and structurally identical. The red word is the verb and the blue word is the adjective complement. The difference between them lies in the meaning that is carried by the verbs.

The following clause also has the same structure of 'linking verb + adjective phrase':

It went unnoticed

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
First of all, they are not verbs. They are adjectives.

Yes, those are verbs. They're special in that they can function as linking verbs, which means that unlike most other verbs they can be followed by a complement in the form of an adjective phrase.

The longer depression is untreated
The longer depression remains untreated

The above clauses are all equally grammatical and structurally identical. The red word is the verb and the blue word is the adjective complement. The difference between them lies in the meaning that is carried by the verbs.

The following clause also has the same structure of 'linking verb + adjective phrase':

It went unnoticed
Thank you. What's the difference in meaning they convey? They seem almost identical so I asked this question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you asking me what this sense of the verb 'remain' means?

Where did you get these sentences from? Are they your own? If so, can you explain how you managed to use the verb 'remain' without knowing what it means?

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you asking me what this sense of the verb 'remain' means?

Where did you get these sentences from? Are they your own? If so, can you explain how you managed to use the verb 'remain' without knowing what it means?
When I was writing the sentences, I chose to use 'is' and 'was'. Later I searched on the internet saying 'sentences with unnoticed' and I found the word associated with 'go' and 'remain'. They both seemed identical so I asked here to know more about it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, I see.

The verb 'remain' does not mean 'be'—it means 'continue to be'. It's a synonym of 'stay'.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the addition of "remain" gives the impression the condition is allowed to continue without action being taken.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Someone sprinkled ink on the bedsheet, It went unnoticed/was unnoticed/remained until my mom came from the office.
There's a comma splice here. You need a full stop or a semicolon. And I think you mean "spilled" rather than "sprinkled".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@thehammer As Barque says, the word "sprinkled" suggests that it was done on purpose. (Maybe it was.) Perhaps: "Somebody spilled ink on the bedsheet. It went unnoticed until my mom came home from the office."

Status
Not open for further replies.