Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Imagine you want to write to a university to express interest in their master program for film studies. In that case can you say "the master of film studies offered by X university" suits me?

Is this correct?

Having evaluated various programs from different universities, I am certain that the Master of Film Studies offered by the University of Melbourne meets the criteria for what I want.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]Imagine[/STRIKE] If you want to write to a university to express interest in their master's program [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] in film studies, [STRIKE]In that case[/STRIKE] can you say "the master of film studies offered by X university suits me"?
Is this correct?
No. Use the one below.

Having evaluated various programs from different universities, I am certain that the Master of Film Studies offered by the University of Melbourne is the one that best meets [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my criteria. [STRIKE]for what I want.[/STRIKE]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say either the Master's in Film Studies (which is a shorter version of Master's degree in film studies) or the Master of Film Studies degree.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only the Master's (degree) in Film Studies sounds good to me. That's the only way we'd phrase it in UK universities, I think.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure the degree's official name, in British as well as American universities, is Master of Film Studies. The context in the OP's quote requires adding "degree" if OP wants to use the official name.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty sure the degree's official name, in British as well as American universities, is Master of Film Studies.

Really? That's surprising. It doesn't sound right to me, but I'll take your word for it, of course.

The best course of action here, alpacinoutd, is to look up the name of the course in the university's prospectus, and write it in exactly the same way that they do.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct?

Having evaluated various programs from different universities, I am certain that the Master's in Film Studies offered by the University of Melbourne is the one that best meets my criteria.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really? That's surprising. It doesn't sound right to me, but I'll take your word for it, of course.

The best course of action here, alpacinoutd, is to look up the name of the course in the university's prospectus, and write it in exactly the same way that they do.
Cambridge University:
Courses offering a Master of Philosophy That's a general term, though. It appears the name of a specific Master's is something like Master of Philosophy in Underwater Basket Weaving.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I was at Cambridge, we called it a Master's in Submarine Basketry.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was at Cambridge, we called it a Master's in Submarine Basketry.

I'm sure it's vanishingly rare for anyone to actually say Master of Philosophy, but that appears to be the beginning of the official name.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the UK at least, the term 'Master of Philosophy' refers to the kind of degree, i.e., to what we'd normally call an MPhil., to distinguish it from other kinds, such as M.A. or MSc.

The issue here is that Film Studies is an M.A., in which case I don't think Master in Film Studies is likely. I think most UK universities would call the course/degree something like M.A. in Film Studies, or whatever specific area of film studies the course is in.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.