Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
As this brief overview has shown, from the level of terms, to phraseology, register, genre conventions and communicate functions, the translators who work with specialized texts
Could you please explain the exact meaning of "genre conventions " in the above paragraph (please with some easy words)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello anisipad and welcome to the forum. Would it be clearer if the author had used "conventions of the genre"?

For example, in a fairly recent thread we talked about the genre romance novels. in those, the main female character is always attracted to a man, but faces obstacles in establishing a romantic relationship with him. Those difficulties are always overcome. Obstacles to be overcome are conventions of the genre.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does the original say communicate functions?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last edited:

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Hello anisipad and welcome to the forum. Would it be clearer if the author had used "conventions of the genre"?

For example, in a fairly recent thread we talked about the genre romance novels. in those, the main female character is always attracted to a man, but faces obstacles in establishing a romantic relationship with him. Those difficulties are always overcome. Obstacles to be overcome are conventions of the genre.
Thabks alot so they some genre or some rules according to those genres?

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
So

Sorry so they are some common quality according to a special genre?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Each genre has its own characteristic conventions. Some people would go so far as to say that the conventions of a genre are what defines it as a genre. To take just one example, a dark and perhaps deserted old mansion may often be a setting in horror stories (although I haven't read any horror other than Edgar Allan Poe.)

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Could you please explain genre conventions with two other words

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Each genre has its own characteristic conventions. Some people would go so far as to say that the conventions of a genre are what defines it as a genre. To take just one example, a dark and perhaps deserted old mansion may often be a setting in horror stories (although I haven't read any horror other than Edgar Allan Poe.)
Sorry , here what's exactly the meaning of convention ? Is that 1_rules or 1 features or something else ? So it means some characteristics elements that are common in a kind of genre? And genre means1_ subject or 2_kind , sort , category? S

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You would do better to try to tell us what you don't understand about the explanations given in this thread and/or in dictionary definitions of the words than to attempt to replace each word with another that is bound to have a different meaning

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, but sorry what 's exactly is the meaning of "convention" here? Is that 1_ it "rules" or 1 "features" or something else? So it means Does it mean some characteristics or elements that are common in a kind of genre? And Does "genre" means1_ mean "subject", or 2_ "kind", "sort" or "category"?

Please note my multiple corrections above. You really need to work on your punctuation and spacing. Please make sure you press the space bar only once between words. Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark. Ensure that you put words you're asking us about in quotation marks to make them stand out from the rest of the sentence. I have no idea why "1_" and "2_" appeared in your post.

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
You would do better to try to tell us what you don't understand about the explanations given in this thread and/or in dictionary definitions of the words than to attempt to replace each word with another that is bound to have a different meaning,
Actually I haven't found a good equivalent for "genre conventions " in my mind yet , so I need something like paraphrasing "genre conventions " so that maybe I could understand that , for example : shared features of a genre , or main elements of a subject

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before we reply, please edit your last post. As I already told you, we don't put a space before commas. We also don't put one before colons or closing quotation marks. You also failed to end the post with a full stop.

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Before we reply, please edit your last post. As I already told you, we don't put a space before commas. We also don't put one before colons or closing quotation marks. You also failed to end the post with a full stop.
OK, could you please say some synonymous for the both words of "genre conventions"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not until you edit post #14.

Last edited by a moderator:

anisipad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Not until you edit post #13.
OK I felt offended a little bit, what is the problem with My post?
but if I were OK at english I wouldn't ask something easy like this!
Obviously I'm not that good at punctuation aswell(sorry about that)
Do you mean you didn't get my point?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, I felt a bit offended. a little bit, What is just one space here the problem with just one space here my post?
but If I were OK at English, I wouldn't ask something just one space here easy like this!
Obviously, I'm not that good at punctuation as space here well space here (sorry about that).
Do you mean you didn't get my point?
What gives you the idea that I didn't get your point? You are here to learn as much as possible about English, aren't you? I see no point in giving you answers to complicated questions if you are still making very basic mistakes with your written English. I have given you a very short, simple list of rules about spacing and punctuation. We expect you to follow our advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.