Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

His careless remark knocked my confidence.

In the sentence above, does "knock" mean "crash" or something?

I checked "knock" in my dictionary, but I couldn't find an appropriate definition.

Thank you!

OP

Where did you encounter this sentence? It's an unusual collocation.

Actually, I made up that sentense because the original passage was long. The following is a part of the the original. The last line has "knock someone's confidence". Does "knock" mean "crash" or "damage" in that context?
Ultimately, the thrill created by being told ‘You’re so clever’ gave way to an increase in anxiety and a drop in self-esteem, motivation and performance. When asked by the researchers to write to children in another school, recounting their experience, some of the ‘clever’ children lied, inflating their scores. In short, all it took to knock these youngsters’ confidence, to make them so unhappy that they lied, was one sentence of praise.

Actually, I made up that sentense because the original passage was long. The following is a part of the the original. The last line has "knock someone's confidence". Does "knock" mean "crash" or "damage" in that context?
Ultimately, the thrill created by being told ‘You’re so clever’ gave way to an increase in anxiety and a drop in self-esteem, motivation and performance. When asked by the researchers to write to children in another school, recounting their experience, some of the ‘clever’ children lied, inflating their scores. In short, all it took to knock these youngsters’ confidence, to make them so unhappy that they lied, was one sentence of praise.

Not A Teacher.

In this context knock does mean damage their confidence.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/knock

Normally should 'crush their confidence' be used instead?

"To knock someone's confidence" works perfectly well in BrE. It means that you made that person a bit less confident.

I was surprised that Rover thought it was an unusual collocation in BrE. Maybe it's a regional difference.

Try:

His careless remark shook my confidence.
or
His careless remark dampened my confidence.

--lotus

How about 'blunt my confidence'?

Not a teacher.

No, that doesn't work, Matthew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back