the meaning of "the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
the meaning of "the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that"

Dear all,

"......he (an old rhino at a zoo) was never a big draw, being, I suppose, entirely too inactive to look at for long. And yet I found him the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that..."

Is it okay to paraphrase the words in bold into "I found him the most attractive and the most challenging animal to draw near to..."?

With "animal" I can see the meaning of the sentence just by glancing at it, but not without "animal".

Thank you!

OP

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: the meaning of "the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for th

You can add the word animal without changing the meaning.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: the meaning of "the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for th

Dear all,

"......he (an old rhino at a zoo) was never a big draw, being, I suppose, entirely too inactive to look at for long. And yet I found him the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that..."

Is it okay to paraphrase the words in bold into "I found him the most attractive and the most challenging animal to draw near to..."?

With "animal" I can see the meaning of the sentence just by glancing at it, but not without "animal".

Thank you!

OP
Not without context. If "he", being old, is the only rhino that people don't look at, the missing word is 'rhinocerous', not 'animal'.

Status
Not open for further replies.